Placement after AT-SAT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skybum69

Has anyone here from off the street taken the AT-SAT, passed it, and been placed anywhere yet? If so, how long did it take? Where were you placed?

The off-the-street bid only closed on Feb 15th. It will be weeks, maybe even months, before the FAA's HR folks contact people and begin the process of giving the AT-SAT to those folks. The HR folks cannot even get the people who are already in the system moved quickly when its needed for opertional reasons. Don't expect them to move fast on this either!

True statement, the latest FAA open bid just closed Feb 15th. True statement, it will be weeks, perhaps months to hear a reply regarding taking the AT-SAT for those folks who applied for the Feb 15th close date.

I know about waiting months to hear anything because I was deemed "eligible to test" and you will be contacted "within the next several weeks" for the previous open bid cycle that closed around 15 June 2007. I have just been recently contacted.

So I will ask again, Has anyone here from off the street taken the AT-SAT, passed it, and been placed anywhere yet? If so, how long did it take? Where were you placed?

I just got an email to take the test today....??? That was quick for the FAA folks. It came in my junk email box so you might want to check that too. I'm a pilot who just applied to see if they would give me a shot. We will see.

Last edited:
Turbine Pilot.....was it the bid that just closed or the one from last June that you applied on? And when and where was the AT-SAT going to be given. Any info you could post would help a bunch of folks out!!

I just got the e-mail as well from the "off the street application." Very tough decision for me I love flying very much but the instability is killing me.

p.s. can anyone tell me how much I would make with all adjustments in TPA approach or tower or Srq tower. Thanks

TPA is an ATC-11, SRQ is an ATC-6. The long term pay at TPA would be much greater. However, the training and check out will take longer and be significantly harder than at SRQ. (Generaly, you get pay raises as you progress through every three positions). Plus at TPA you will get RADAR. IF you are motivated and want a challenge takle TPA.

We have one CTI from ERAU at ATL who did really well and has already checked out, the other one who started with him did not so well, and the gave him several facilities to chose from - they did not wash him out. Just have a great attitude and apply yourself. Laurie Dugay (the Manager is TPA) is a good person and will do everything she can to help you.

Call and make an appointment and run over and visit both facilities. You could do it in one day. TPA and SRQ are only about an hour apart. Talk to the controllers. Then make your decision. But don't wait....the FAA moves right on down the list when they get started! I personally, would commit to TPA befor the FAA changes their mind, but if you're not sure - go visit. In the last generation of controllers, there have been many, many people over the years who have tried to get to TPA, and could not. It was one of those very sought-after facilities! MCO would be excellent as well.

Can you post the essence of your email from the FAA, so folks will know what to expect? When did you apply - was it on the off-the-street bid that just closed? Or thru CTI? Have the offered you an AT-SAT test date? Etc.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The e-mail basically stated that I had been selected to take the test and to call the testing agency to setup a test date in Daytona.

Now when I filled out the application the only places I listed were TPA and SRQ. So I dont know if that means if I pass the selection process that I would be placed in one of those two places or not?

Thanks for the info!

just took the AT-SAT this week, downtown Houston. (off the street) The contractor who proctors the test knows nothing about the hiring process other than that it is the AT-SAT test you are taking.

rumors from dudes at testing said expect a score in possibly a week.

One of the dudes buddies was called within about a month after taking the AT-SAT.

We shall wait and see.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back