Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

starvingcfi

CpApAwM
found a 1994 S1-S for sale. 1576 SMOH on a 2000 TBO IO-360. 405 TTAF. 1996 stits paint.

they're asking $32K negotiable. anyone have a ballpark for a reasonable price? anyone with any info of what to look for?

supposedly only been flown sportsman and intermediate with no hard acro. not sure if it's homebuilt or factory.

I've been looking in to buying a Pitts or something similar for a little while now. From what I've seen most of the powerplants in these things get overhauled around 1000 hours. I would assumd that with a 2000 tbo the engine has no inverted systems(?). But the all the cooling and heating and general throttle jockeying that goes on during acro I would consider this motor to be borderline run out. Pay close attention to the compression tests on the last few annuals and I would ask if they've had any oil analyses done(and see what kind of metal the thing may be making). Also, why was it painted at only 2 years old? Was there any fabric work done at the time and if so why? Damage history?

It sounds like lowish range for a S-1 that new, but there are things to consider. Keep me posted.

just re-read the e-mail. says the oil analysis has always come back clean, but yeah. i know almost 1600 SMOH is really pushing it. kind of why i'm wondering about the pricing. i'm sure that's part of the reason the price is fairly low. how much is an overhaul on a -360?

also, says it has a full inverted system with the option for smoke.

IO-360....it's been a while since I've priced them but I would guess in the 15000 dollar range for major. Any word on the compressions?

There's a S-1 on ebay right now for about $16k

A real S-1-S is longer than an S-1-C. Some S-1-S's are actually S-1-C's with sparcraft S-1-S wings. If you are over 5'9" this may be important.
Most aerobatic engines get OH by 1,000 hours. The 1500 hour 0-360 may have seen light duty most of it's life - then put in the Pitts. It still needs to have the solid or aerobatic crankshaft or you're asking for trouble.
Plenty of S-1-S's for sale under $35,000 if you look.

HEADWIND

32k is not a low price.

Aerobatic engines easily make TBO. If they sit a lot, then there is a problem. There isn't much "throttle jockeying" in aerobatics. There is two positions of the throttle - aerobatics, and spin:) FWIW, people that I know run the S-1S wide open all the time and make TBO no problem.

Does it have a composite prop? That would be a requirement for me...

The fabric is 13 years old and will need to be replaced. I would consider intermediate "hard acro". Your doing +6 even in sportsman if you want to win... (in a -B anyway). DEFINITELY have any airplane inspected prior to purchase. There are specific things to look for in a pitts that will require small inspection cuts in the fabric. Check out airbum.com for an article on what to look for in a pitts.

Get an S-1S if you are competing. Don't bother with a -C. An -S will take you to advanced easily...

In 2001 I had an AEIO-360 done at Ly-Con. Cost including the new solid crank was right at $18,000. This was Ly-Con's bill only - doesn't include removal ect. It was a '79 with about 1000 total time since new. No remote filter - only a screen. The other poster is right about "throttle-jockeying." Remember when buying a plane the initial cost is only half the story! Good luck!

Yeah, I was going to by a -B at one point. I did a spreadsheet to look at the costs associated. YIKES! Its about $200/hour no matter how you cut it - assuming you will put money in an engine and maintenance reserve fund. The cost of the airplane is by far the least.

For example:
I had a 1/4 share in a stearman for $25k. I spend $15k in two years, then sold it for $23.5k. I flew it about 100 hours. Some of that was shared time too, not all solo. So, thats $150/hour...

So, I bought a Roush Mustang instead....

Latest resources

Back