• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

pitts info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe you should read the IAC Technical Manuals 1,2,3 and 4. There is a lot of good information about operating and maintaining a Pitts S1 aircraft.

I fly Advanced in a Pitts S1 and try and limit my engine rpm to about 3300. Anything higher than that and you're just making noise.

The 1st. engine run went to 1000 hours without any problems. The 2nd. run was at 870 when I found a crack in the prop flange. It was the light weight crank with 1870 TTSN.

I fly Advanced but never ran a Pitts all the way to TBO since I traded up to an Extra.

I did fly another Extra 300S that has 1200TT on the engine and was flown UNLIMITED and several airshows and it is still running strong.

I also have a new Pitts with 200TT. It needed a new motor at 150TT due to the former owner running it out of oil....I would rather have a Pitts flown a regualr basis then one that sat as a hangar Queen.

One thing is for sure, if you want a Pitts, join IAC and find a Chapter to join as well, go get some dual to make sure YOU REALLY want to fly a Pitts (some guys just are not up to it...and that's ok to find out before you buy one) Talk to REAL Pitts owners before trusting anyone on this board.

Thank you. I will read them. The times you quote are still consistant with what I suggested with the start of this thread. Around 1000hrs on a fixed-pitch prop IO-360 doing aerobatics. The guy I orignally was addressing was looking at purchasing a Pitts with over 1500SMOH. My recommendation to be wary of this still holds. Thanks for the links. Where do you fly out of? I'm out of DVT ( Phoenix).

Pitts advice

Go ahead and make a ridiculous offer on any single seat pitts. They are not moving on the market. If a guy needs the money he will sell. Most guys can't afford to have one and maintain it to standrads for very long. See note below.

Always plan on overhaul being well less than TBO, for all listed reasons. C-172 and C-152s at a flight school may make overhaul, but a rarely flown airplane that is ran hard and flown through aerobatics is a different animal.

Buy the best airplane you can. Maintenance is extemely expensive. Recovering th plane, rebuilding a wing, and working on an engine add up. Down time is what will kill you though. Trying to find a guy to work on a Pitts or any fabric airplane is tough, and these guys cahrge a premium unless they are your buddies.

Only a fool or a wealthy man owns an airplane outside of a partnership. Find a few expert pilots and poney up on a Pitts together. Seek out the best two seat training for your partners and require recureent checks. Good Luck

Former Pitts S-1S owner

PS. I bought and sold my Pitts S-1S for around 25K. Spent quite a bit on hangar, routine mx, insurance, and gas. I figured 1900/yr for insurance, 3000yr for hangar. 1000-3000 yr for mx, and 4500yr for gas/oil.
10-12K a year to own and operate my 25K Pitts with no major mx issues. 100 hours per year. I later dropped full coverage (liability $600/yr). You might be able to reduce hangar or mx expenses. Maybe get it down to $5-6K per year. Good Luck.
I now own a 2004 Super D, and it runs about 23K a year for paying the bank and all the above listed expenses.

You guys think a 6'3" 250 country boy could fit in a Pitts?

I've been in an S2C but cannot afford one..

Thinking S1 or S2.. Not totally sure yet..

I am not as big as you and my S1S works, but it's tight. Mine was a S1C before, so it's 3" shorter than a factory S or T. You may try looking at an S2S.

Yeh, I'd really like to pick up an S2A or B..

I want a 2 place for sure.

Kinda been looking at Skybolts...

Yeh, I'd really like to pick up an S2A or B..

I want a 2 place for sure.

Kinda been looking at Skybolts...

I got a ride in a Skybolt once but didn't get any hands on time 'cause the owner's wife didn't fly the foreward stick slap wasn't there but it seemed like a nice airplane.

You're a little tall for a Bucker but before you buy any acro airplane Tram, trust me, you need to fly one! Buckers were the plane that the two members of the 300 club cut their teeth on...that's a pretty good recommendation as far as I'm concerened!

Latest resources

Back