Pirep from FedEx

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's this about a Paris base?

Paris, Zurich, or where ever; just remember we are in negotiations. Can you say "RETROPAY?

Great news on the hiring though.
Slowdryver

Second, a flex captain I flew with said “500” next year….expecting 300 on-site and about 200 off-site. I certainly hope both rumors are

What does on or off site mean ??

On-site = Melvis

Off-site = Dallas (and per diem/hotel coverage!)

At the moment all new hires are still training in Memphis with many upgrades/transition dudes going to Dallas. Going to Big D for sims would definitely be good ($$) for any commuting new-hires.

Hoya out

Albie, are you saying 727 F/O training was harder than S/O training? What was the most difficult part of the training, and did your 2.5 years flying the panel help out much.

727 FO school...

FO school was not harder than SO school. For the most part, you already know the airplane. That is a huge advantage. The tough part is a good portion of the upgrade is spent with SO new hires introducing you to the 727 and its systems. You then get one class on instrumentation and "front end stuff" and then you hit your oral. The oral is 99.99% front end stuff. Next, you are off and running in training devices. For guys like me did not sit in a pilot seat for 2-3+ years, it can be a handfull just learning basic airwork again let alone 2-engine out, crosswind landings, and recalling those distant instrument procedure memories.

The big challenge for the SOs is EVERYTHING is new. The company, the plane, possibly civilian flying, the training department... For the back seaters upgrading to the right seat, you really wont feel any pressure until you are about half way through the program.

My advice for upgrading: Have a good working knowledge of the FOM (Flight Ops Manual) before you start upgrade and then focus on the mechanics of flying while you are there. Everything else will fall into place.

Goose17

Rock,

Ditto what Goose said.

I have been flying fighters the whole time I was in the back seat, so my cross check and hands were at least "warm". I've made several posts on the subject, but personally I thought learning to work as a crew (ie...ask for flaps, power, etc vice just grabbing the darn things and FLYING) slowed things down a bit, and learning to incorporate an autopilot into the mix was also new. Landing the sim was difficult at first, but (hope I don't jink myself) other than a couple IOE bumps and bounces most of my landings since 1/2 way through IOE have been pretty decent. (uh oh...now I've done it!)

What was a challange for me was simply learning new mechanical pictures and techniques. The last 14 years have been spent in a fighter, with a small smattering of GA thrown in for fun. Like anything else...a little time and practice go a long way. The 727 does demand to be flown, and learning new mechanics, new lingo (callouts, etc) and a new way of flying (as a crew) is a transition for most of us fighter guys.

As far as training--I had great folks helping me. I didn't need any extra events. A good buddy did need an extra sim prior to his check, however he was doing so well on IOE after his check they signed him off after less than a week--where most of us had trips that spanned 2 weeks. My point is everyone has a learning curve, and at some point it seems to (mostly) come together. In his case, he needed help in sim phase but rocked on the line. Your mileage may vary...

The sim/line busts I've heard about have been other guys. I won't post details in order not to embarrass anyone, but the point is these guys had been successful in previous jobs. You just need to show up with a smile and planning on some hard work, and you'll do fine. If you don't do fine at first, you'll get some extra help and then you'll do fine. Just don't show up expecting it to be easy or for anyone to try to pour it into your brain for you.

As for FO verses SO training....SO training was easily much more stressful, difficult, and frustrating. The FO upgrade was a much better experience. Come to the right seat at your first chance--you'll enjoy the view.

How does fedEX look at pilots like myself that went from part 91 to 135 to 121 and then back to 91 in order to get some good quality PIC jet time? I had basically zero chance at upgrade where I was and went from right seat 121 to left seat 91.

Will flying a sabreliner versus an RJ be a strike against me in the future?

Latest resources

Back