Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AlbieF15

F15 Ret/FDX/InterviewPrep
I don’t normally jump on rumor bandwagons but I thought I’d pass on a little info and thoughts from inside the purple walls.

First…hiring. Yep…it seems to be continuing unabated. I heard two “make me giggle with glee” numbers recently, although both could be simply bad rumors or the truth stretched a bit out of proportion. The first was retirements this December in the 250+ range. That would be mind-boggling if true. Second, a flex captain I flew with said “500” next year….expecting 300 on-site and about 200 off-site. I certainly hope both rumors are correct, but time will tell…

Next—training. Its tough. Right now attrition in upgrades on 727 is about 25%. Several guys have busted rides in the FO upgrade, and I know of one guy who did not make it through and went back to the panel. Quite a few guys (captains too!) have been needing additional training. The S/O seat is also tough—the training is a bit of a “hazing” or “rite of passage” depending on your perspective, but the fact is a few guys have busted their checks. So…standard ROE…show up prepared, with a smile, and don’t expect the instructor cadre to just pour knowledge into your skull. This applies to new hires and you guys who are finally heading towards an overdue upgrade. Talk to your bros, get the gouge, and study! Personally, I was getting pretty frustrated with myself in the sim phase with my landings, but a hard night of gambling and drinking at Tunica and 4 hours sleep finally seemed to do the trick. As I (miraculously) landed the sim that day much better than the previous attempts, my instructor commented “whatever you did last night…you need to keep doing it…” Well…if you say so boss… Tongue in cheek aside, training was tough but the instructors were good and were working as hard as I was, and if you put forth a solid effort they give you their very best too.

Interview calls---December calls went out with as little as 7 days notice! I think perhaps they were “filling” in unfilled interview slots. I had folks who called me in Oct/Nov saying “I’ll call you when I get the call…” only to find there was little or no time to prep or get help. I’m not trying to sound like an insurance commercial, but if you want help and you think you might be called I urge you to go ahead and get ready early. The last minute rush only adds to your stress, and trying to synch up schedules with someone who has less than 2 weeks to interview is often just not possible.

Final note—attitude check. For you new hires or wannabes, you might just find out your first month or two at FedEx isn’t fun. Training is hard, and nobody grows up saying “when I grow up I want to sit sideways, do preflights, run around the airplane in the freezing cold, and be the coffee Beatach for some grumpy pilots in the middle of the night…” Keep repeating this to yourself: “Training IS NOT the line, training IS NOT the line…” It does get better. I ran into a bro who is also in the SWA pool, and he’s tempted to jump. Now…I don’t care where he goes, as long as he is happy. I have yet to hear a SWA pilot complain about his company. However, FedEx is an “old school” airline, and you are going to pay some dues…for a while. However, if you can stomach some temporary pain (for me it was 2.5 years…for new hires it will likely be much less) you can find yourself making 6 figures flying a 727, A 300, or MD 11 within just a couple years, and perhaps doing international flying that you’d never see at a LCC. I’m not saying one is better than the other, but rather not to judge this company by your first three months (or even first year).

Good luck everyone. Now go ship your holiday gifts FedEx! (please…)

Albie

Any suggestions for those of us with zero, zip, none, nada, triple confirmed no FedEx pilot contacts? I understand personal in-house recommendations (and not a completely bad concept by the way...) is the only way to get an interview.

Any innovative solutions to this problem? I might meet the crew van at the hotel and take the crews to the t1tty bar, for drinks and "debriefing"

is that a start

:)

later

Wow Satpak, you guys had a golf cart at your FBO? Lucky...:D

Spoke with ACP the other day. Was inquiring about a buds app. He said min of three letters is required for interview.

He spoke of huge hiring numbers as well.

He also said that they may start looking at furloughees on a case by case basis!

European crew base: The French, in response to the Zurich thing are starting to play ball on some key issues which have prevented a Paris base............

Very short in all seats but the MD-11, but with new routes and jets, MD11 training is being accelerated. GOC has had to cancel 727 flights for both lack of crews and jets. (This is probably due to all the hard landings now that Albie and I are out there pranging them in there)

Anyone else got any good info?

Last edited:
Happen to be on a EWR layover (Im at home!!), Flying with a LCA/Flex dude from ANC...
500 is the number they hear
Los1

Satpak,

Keep the faith and update update update. Right now there are a lot of referrals in the system, BUT if we hire 500 (like the postal wave) things will loosen up a bit. Everybody has an opinion, but one ACP I talked to seem to think they were trying to create mutliple stovepipes...through the CP, the ACPs, and through some (impressive) resumes/apps in the system. Keep updating, keep networking, and good luck!

USNFDX said:
Spoke with ACP the other day. Was inquiring about a buds app. He said min of three letters is required for interview.

He spoke of huge hiring numbers as well.

He also said that they may start looking at furloughees on a case by case basis!

European crew base: The French, in response to the Zurich thing are starting to play ball on some key issues which have prevented a Paris base............

Very short in all seats but the MD-11, but with new routes and jets, MD11 training is being accelerated. GOC has had to cancel 727 flights for both lack of crews and jets. (This is probably due to all the hard landings now that Albie and I are out there pranging them in there)

Anyone else got any good info?
I guess I can confirm some of what USNFDX said. I have a friend who flies for FEDEX. He went to an ACP a couple weeks ago. He said that FEDEX will look at furloughees on a case by case basis, but this is not a floodgate for furloughed guys though. You will need to have some strong points as to your commitment to FEDEX. Off the top of my head I remember two points he made that will help furloughees prove their commitment (there were more, but I can't remember the others):

1. They would like to see you flying for another airline. People that have gotten out of aviation and appear to be awaiting recall probably will not get called.

2. If you applied to FEDEX prior to 9/11 that also would be looked at favorably. It shows you were interested in working for FEDEX prior to your furlough/industry downturn.

Also as USNFDX stated 3 letters from pilots on the inside is a must, and 2 should have flown with you.

Glad you guys are hiring! How does FDX interact with those trainees that have failed some sort of checkride in training? Will they give those guys a second chance or is that it?

multiple chances

The contract is long and lengthy in this area, but everyone gets multiple chances. My sim partner in initial new hire class busted his sim check and he got some additional training and is doing just fine. A little hicup here or there is tolerable, but don't set a trend.

Goose17

Latest resources

Back