• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Piper Malibu/Mirage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If I remember correctly Piper has two Malibus, the Malibu Mirage and the Malibu Meridian. However, I think the Malibu has been dropped from both titles. So the question you're asking is kind of like comparing the Cherokee to the Warrior.

That being said I believe both planes have very simialar performance ;) Unless of course you're thinking of the Malibu Meridian. :D

H/C172/T said:
Considering purchasing a PA46. Would like any input as to which is better the Mirage or Malibu.

Do you want to cruise at 210 ktas and drink 20 gal/hr of gasoline, or 240 ktas and guzzle 35+ gal/hr of JetA?

Can you even get insured on a turbine?

That being said, I'm not a fan of either two. I don't think they're built well enough for the price.

If you can afford $1.5 mil for a new Mirage, I'd rather have a used TBM700 and go faster.

I have plenty turbine time. I was looking at an MU2 or a C90 but am trying to find the best value for 500k or less. I am also considering C340 or C414. The operating cost of the PA46 was appealing, so I am trying to find what others that have flown them think about them.

You fly a CRJ and have enough dough to buy a PA46? What regional do you work for?

:D

H/C172/T said:
I have plenty turbine time. I was looking at an MU2 or a C90 but am trying to find the best value for 500k or less. I am also considering C340 or C414. The operating cost of the PA46 was appealing, so I am trying to find what others that have flown them think about them.

If you're looking for "value", the twin Cessnas are hard to beat.

I was always a Beech man, but traded my bonanza for a C340 last year and really like it. I flew the M-35 for 16 years and thought I'd miss it.

I only miss the maintenence costs and fuel burn, but honestly, as with almost all used airplanes for sale, getting on top of the list of "needing to be fixed" is a big curve in the first year.

Unfortunately, I got the short end of the stick in that dept. Mine was immaculate....b/c I had no intention of selling her.

I don't think you're going to find an immaculate Malibu for under $500k. And certainly not the others you mentioned.

I do have brand new Ram VIs, with intercoolers and get 215-220 ktas in the low 20's on 40 gph. I put a pot full of money in new avionics and am still a couple hundred thousand under your budget.

The 414 is bigger, carries more, but you don't get the speed. They can't keep up with the 340. 200 ktas is about it I believe and fuel burn is higher.

there are a couple of variations of the PA46 out there.

Malibu- original version with the Cont. 310 HP engine. Two different types of hydraulic systems on them; Gar-Kenyon and Parker Hannifin depending on when they were manufactured. Each have their pros and cons.

Malibu Mirage- Piper cleaned up the avionics and the panel on the Mirage, put in a heated windshield instead of a plate that was on the Malibu and traded in the Cont. engine for a Lycoming 350HP.

Malibu Meridian- Glass cockpit, PT6 powered, redisigned and larger wing area, redesigned and larger tail surfaces. Loss of nose baggage area.

There are original Malibus out there with a Cont 350HP for power. The STC claimed that at altitude you had lower temps, lower FF, better TAS and less time to climb.

Rocket in Washington state has an STC for the Jet Prop version of the Malibu and Mirage. It straps a PT6 to the original airframe and keeps the forward nose baggage.

Good luck and make sure to set enough aside for engine reserve if you go with either of the piston power models.

take a look at www.jetprop.com and www.mmopa.com

Dunno about all the models, but I had the displeasure of flying an older malibu. If you are more that 5.5 ft tall you will probably need to take a chiropractor with you to straighted your spine and remove your knees from your armpits.

Was an 86 or 87 model I think, Most uncomfortable piece of crap I have ever been in..........Have no idea how it handled, the pain from the seating position is all that I remember of the flight.

Don't know if it was just something about the seating config in that one, it had a partition between the cockpit and the back, or if all of them are like that........I would rather fly a Cessna 150 from NY to LA than that thing!!!!

Ouch, back is hurting just thinking about it!

Rocket in Washington state has an STC for the Jet Prop version of the Malibu and Mirage. It straps a PT6 to the original airframe and keeps the forward nose baggage.

Don't you still have a problem with an airspeed restriction on these? When Piper put the turbine on they modified and beefed up the wing.

It would be a shame to have and pay for all that HP and have to fly it in the low 200's.

It would climb like a home-sick angel though.

Latest resources

Back