Piper light Jet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RightPedal

Looked at the new Piper light jet concept airplane on Aero-news. Now this one caught my eye. Not that I would ever have, or fly one, I still like the looks of it. Even with single engine, I think they are on to something here.
I hope they have better luck with the jet than they did with the Boo.

I like the notion of these relatively expensive light GA jets, but I can foresee a very serious problem in the not too distant future. Just like the Bonanza and Baron before them, the VLJs are going to become the 21st century doctor-and-lawyer killers. They're snazzy, comparably priced to a Baron (more or less), powered by turbine-sans-propeller, and are single pilot. Those who have more money than brains/training are going to snatch these up like new york strips at a cattlemen's convention. Then it's only a matter of time before someone splatters one all over a mountainside on approach into Aspen.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea that turbine power is getting lower and lower on the cost ladder. I just predict that this is the problem that will surface.

It looks like a Chieftain and a MD11 had a wild night in Vegas.

Might be fun to take one of those for a spin. :)

Who are we kidding? Look at the fuse, horizontal stab, and for that matter the wing. It's a Meridian with the motor in the back instead of the front. That being said (and a gross over-simplification), it doesn't seem like a half bad idea.

There's a guy about 50 miles north of me who is doing the same thing with a Piper Aerostar. It's been quite a deal for him since Williams doesn't want to sell engines for experimental applications to folks who aren't in the production trade. It will be quite a hit at when it becomes public.

It's kinda like the Gulfstream Peregrine, only smaller, anybody here remember that one?

Lilah

Latest resources

Back