• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Piper down in Lake Michigan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've crossed that lake many times (never more than about a mile off shore in a single though) that is not warm water most of the year. Probably only about 40-45 F this time of year. Unless you are lucky enough to go down right next to a ship or have a CG helo already in the air nearby you are not going to last long swimming in that water. For anyone that thinks the lake reporting service offered by FSS is going to help you out, you probably will be dying about the same time search and rescue is called. Be careful out there.

I used to operate over the North Sea in light aircraft. Its temp. is similar to the lakes. We used to morbidly say that the life jackets that were required would only serve to keep us afloat so we could freeze to death.

Sadly it seems to be the case here.

The only time I cross Lake Michigan is July/August, even then it's cold. He didn't have a chance this time of year.:(

"as his single engine pipe sank into the water."

aw, geez. the kid was just 19. it's always sad to lose a fellow aviator, but he was just a kid. RIP.

Ok I guess my previous post was cold in more than one way....

I do feel bad about the loss of a fellow pilot. I was just making a point that sometimes it's better to add a couple hours to the trip and reduce the risk.....

I just saw it on the news, they said he ran out of gas. Does anyone know if he was just running along the coast or crossing Lake Michigan?

Yes, sweet dear kid. One thing that stood out after I read the news report is how he seemed to remain so calm. He managed to "land" his plane on the water, get out and get on top of the plane, and make the 911 call.

Latest resources

Back