Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aucfi

Endowed Member
This is one for the die hard Cub pilots...

I finished my initial checkout in a 1946 J3C and need to do some solo work to complete the insurance requirements. The problem is the weight and balance. I weigh around 260 pounds and have been flying from rear seat with a 140 pound instructor in the front seat. We were just under gross weight and as far as the CG, that’s the question????

Flying with the instructor was ok with full fuel but I could tell the CG was moving considerably aft after burning off a few gallons. My question is where can I find the ARM distances for the front and rear seats so I can figure out the CG? The POH/AFM only lists the gross weight, CG forward and aft limits and the location of the datum. Could I simply use a tape measure and determine the ARM from the datum? Why wouldn’t Piper have done this already and put it in the POH/AFM?

Several people have told me to "just get in it." I don’t take chances like that. Even if the CG is within limits, I would put some kind of ballast in the front seat to help improve the characteristics. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

AU

falcon20driver said:
I've got about 1,500 hours towing banners in 160 and 180 horse restricted catagory J-3 Cubs, always flew from the front seat, never flew a Cub from the back seat, weight and balance was fine for me.

"P.S. Hope this helps!"

Classic flightinfo.com.

Anything missing that might help with the ol' moment arm question?

YGBSM,

Why is it that people beg for information, then revile the poster? You may not like what's written, but you've received an experienced reply. Ingrattitude does not become you.

The super cub is flown from the front seat, the J-3 from the back, normally.

Pilot handbooks are dumbed down eye candy for pilots. If you want information about an aircraft, use the aircraft maintenance manual.

avbug said:
YGBSM,

Why is it that people beg for information, then revile the poster? You may not like what's written, but you've received an experienced reply. Ingrattitude does not become you.

The super cub is flown from the front seat, the J-3 from the back, normally.

Pilot handbooks are dumbed down eye candy for pilots. If you want information about an aircraft, use the aircraft maintenance manual.

I didn't ask for any information, but I did point out that the info given in response to the original question was incomplete without Mr. Falcon20's weight.
Your point about the maintenance manuals vs. the pilot manuals, while sort of completely unrelated to anything I am able to find in the preceding posts in this thread, at least those posted by me, is correct in my opinion.
Old age is causing you some confusion, I think.

Let's see, my weight was about 175 back then, the small engine 135 horse J-3 would get a little tail light when taxiing, just had to be careful, I don't know why Piper has the solo back seat only on the J-3, my total Cub time is around 1500 and about 700 is Super Cubs, about 300 in Cruisers and Super Cruisers and the other 500 is in 160 and 180 horsepower J-3 Cubs, the 160 and 180 horse J-3 is one fun airplane when you don't have a banner behind you. She flys fine from the front, the solo from the back seat only doesn't make any sense to me, but than again I haven't ever flown a J-3 with anything smaller than a 135 horse engine either, maybe the little engine upfront makes a difference.

Last edited:
Your point about the maintenance manuals vs. the pilot manuals, while sort of completely unrelated to anything I am able to find in the preceding posts in this thread,

You question my response regarding pilot operating handbooks, and state that it doesn't apply to anything in the thread. Perhaps you didn't bother to read the original post...

The POH/AFM only lists the gross weight, CG forward and aft limits and the location of the datum. Could I simply use a tape measure and determine the ARM from the datum? Why wouldn’t Piper have done this already and put it in the POH/AFM?

Old age is causing you some confusion, I think.

You think too much, but not well. Whom ever said I'm old??

avbug said:
You question my response regarding pilot operating handbooks, and state that it doesn't apply to anything in the thread. Perhaps you didn't bother to read the original post...

You think too much, but not well. Whom ever said I'm old??

Easy, bubba! No one's questioning your manhood here. Have a prozac.
I've never been accused of thinking too well, so maybe you can explain how your original reply to me related to anything that I said. Use little words so I can understand, and point out the part where I begged for information, and highlight the part that I'm suppposed to display gratitude for. Maybe old age is causing me some confusion...but I doubt it.

aucfi said:

My question is where can I find the ARM distances for the front and rear seats so I can figure out the CG? The POH/AFM only lists the gross weight, CG forward and aft limits and the location of the datum. Could I simply use a tape measure and determine the ARM from the datum? Why wouldn’t Piper have done this already and put it in the POH/AFM?

You can use a tape measure to find the arms, then use the balance formula (WxA=M). POH's were pretty primative (and not standardized) when your cub was certified. Piper probably just figured that no one would use the W/B information anyway, so why print it?:rolleyes: Well, good luck.

Latest resources

Back