• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle Staffing Cost 9E Pilots Fence Positions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Of the 108, how many of them would realistically go? How were 108 selected? Is it straight seniority order? Preference for those who expressed interest in going? Just trying to gauge how many will really leave, because I would be surprised if even half leave.

The majority of eligible flows are yes. A bunch listed as no previous to the merger are now yes. It's all by seniority, no special preference. If they decide no that flow-thru spot is lost forever. At the union meeting they listed it. My memory may be off but it was 45 900 CA, 25 200 CA 14 SAAB CA's that are currently listed as yes. The trickle down effect of these flows are immense. For career expectations this should have been included in the parameters. Bloch decided otherwise. That is part of the reason why I have no sympathy for those who complain about the fences. We had guaranteed career improvement and it wasn't included.

Last edited:
Of the 108, how many of them would realistically go? How were 108 selected? Is it straight seniority order? Preference for those who expressed interest in going? Just trying to gauge how many will really leave, because I would be surprised if even half leave.
Some of the 108 have already left. 55, if I counted correctly, are currently electing to flow. They are able to change their bids up until an award that would affect them, they cannot bypass or delay. I just counted the previously bid "yes"s.

Some of the 108 have already left. 55, if I counted correctly, are currently electing to flow. They are able to change their bids up until an award that would affect them, they cannot bypass or delay. I just counted the previously bid "yes"s.
There are 4 "NO"s. And only 6 Saab CAs. There are some listed as N/A, I don't know what this means... Maybe no 4 year degree, which is required.

Last edited:
Just looked at the list 4 are listed as no, 11 are listed as "NA" which is the equivalent of NO if they don't change to yes. The most senior eligible was hire Feb 97 and junior Nov 98.

Once your 27 Saabs are parked by next year, you can bet we will have an "overstaffing" of Captains system wide. Once you are forced off the Saab as Captain, you will bid a jet Captain spot. You will get it. If the company cannot absorb all 162 Saab Captains (27 planes x 6 captains/plane), you folks will be able to hold what your seniority allows you. This includes RJ Captain positions. The bottom-most pilots, Pinnacle, since Colgan has no jets, will be displaced out and forced into the right seat of the jet. We are short handed, but we WILL have a surplus of pilots once all 27 Saabs from Mesaba are gone.

I have no problem with that. Go ahead, count your furloughs as active. The MOU gives them longevity credit anyway. The -200 wasn't a shrinking fleet in the same sense as the Saabs. The Saabs have no written Airline Services Agreement and are due to be parked by 2012. All of them. Pinnacle lost 3 RJs, 2 of which were gained due to others getting paint jobs at GLH.

With no fleet growth, and a fleet shrinking in the future (all Saabs gone), I don't think any 2010 FO will be upgrading until at least 5-6 years. We already have 4+ year FOs who are still FOs. We are becoming the next Eagle pretty quick. What saved them was flowthroughs and CRJ-700 jet orders. We have only a handful of flowthroughs, and no aircraft orders. Just Saabs heading to the desert.

I don't think Mesaba lost as much as you make it sound like. The first 50% Colgan gained the most, top XJ pilots gained the most. Top 9E pilots got screwed, and the rest is in-the-middle.

A lot of those saabs have already left. I think we are only flying 14 for delta now

How could the XJ union not allow that, or not negotiate for that? What gives?

We had no negotiating capital on that one like the Compass guys did.

That flow, post buyout, is all a sympathy flow. Lee Moak and the Delta ALPA group got the 108 (those who could expect to flow in one year time) for us and it was all charity. I'm happy we got anything.

After seeing the fences I'm wondering how you still think the XJ guys don't fight for us very effectively every day? Seems strange to me is all.

A lot of those saabs have already left. I think we are only flying 14 for delta now
Full credit though.

How many flow is anyones guess, but I know for a fact that many switched from "no" to "yes" when the sale to 9E occurred. Now that those senior guys did pretty well in the SLI you may see several switch back to "no". I would say around 45-50 will leave.

How many flow is anyones guess, but I know for a fact that many switched from "no" to "yes" when the sale to 9E occurred. Now that those senior guys did pretty well in the SLI you may see several switch back to "no". I would say around 45-50 will leave.

Ugh, you think only that many? Even if they are 45, they will still have 20 years at Delta to make up money. Of course we are all in different places, but as I have stated before. I don't see how 9E can come up with 3k pilot positions in five years. I guess the top however many won't be affected by 200's leaving, but it still has the chance of going through shamruptcy part 2 and another merger. A year ago or so I wouldn't have said this, but right now I can't understand why people would intentionally stay at a regional for a career.

but right now I can't understand why people would intentionally stay at a regional for a career.
I don't understand either. What made Mesaba so great to make people want to stay there? I mean, come on, it's a crappy regional like any other. Started with turboprops, 50s 60s 70s 80s, tons of guys hired in the 80s and 90s. I think it was the Avro that did them in. They started thinking "ah sweeet! I'm flyin the domestic 4-holer! I could totally retire on this regional 747!" And with their introduction in 1995, people were ecstatic to bid to those. Fast forward 10 y ears, 9/11, almost going to strike, a contract, Avros gone, a shamruptcy, Big Sky whipsaw, and done to just 49 Saabs, I think then pilots realized, "Crap! My domestic 747 is gone! What will I do now?" But by now, they were in too deep. Many with 10-15+ years service, and have no interest in starting over at the bottom on reserve.

Latest resources

Back