• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle PIC Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The whole "having only cessna PIC makes a bad jet CA" is total BS.

The truth is that every CA had to get their first command at some point or another. No exceptions.

Take a look at yourself and all of your co-workers at any regional. Most of them had ZERO turbine PIC time prior to making CA.

Guitar Guy said:
I'm surprised the FSDO won't allow the right-seat time. FAR 61.163 says that the 250 PIC can be comprised, in part or whole, of SIC time under the supervision of a PIC. Here's the quote:

§ 61.159 Aeronautical experience: Airplane category rating.

I love it when guys quote Part 61 for a Part 121 example. I dpnt' really care so I am not looking it up but somebody needs to quote a PART 121 reg here in order for it to mean something. In Part 121 only one person can log PIC, and that is the CA who signed for the ac. Period end of story. Int'l crews of four flyin the 777 are all typed, but only the old crusty guy is the one logging it.

IF YOU TRY TO PULL THAT SH!T OUT OF YOUR LOGBOOK AT AN INTERVIEW WITH A MAJOR THEY WILL SHOW YOU THE DOOR IMMEDIATELY AND PASS YOUR NAME AROUND TO EVERYONE ELSE. That's the only inerpretation I need. DON'T DO IT IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CLECA said:
I love it when guys quote Part 61 for a Part 121 example. I dpnt' really care so I am not looking it up but somebody needs to quote a PART 121 reg here in order for it to mean something. In Part 121 only one person can log PIC, and that is the CA who signed for the ac. Period end of story. Int'l crews of four flyin the 777 are all typed, but only the old crusty guy is the one logging it.

IF YOU TRY TO PULL THAT SH!T OUT OF YOUR LOGBOOK AT AN INTERVIEW WITH A MAJOR THEY WILL SHOW YOU THE DOOR IMMEDIATELY AND PASS YOUR NAME AROUND TO EVERYONE ELSE. That's the only inerpretation I need. DON'T DO IT IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, dumbass. Everything you said we have all noted already.

Even flying under 121, you can log PIC for 61 purposes (i.e. getting the requirements for an ATP) when you are typed and acting as sole manipulator. It was already noted that this can't be counted for an interview.

Getting an ATP comes under 61, not 121. There is only one PIC for each 121 flight, but LOGGING PIC is a different deal. You might not like it, you might not agree with it, but that is the fact, Jack.

So re-read everything, pop a couple of Ritalin, and f***ing relax.

We're not talking about putting it in the logbook and trying to use it to meet quals for an interview. This is just for the purpose of meeting the requirements of the regs for an ATP. This isn't about trying to "log" PIC time when you're an FO. Nobody is suggesting that.

with all due respect spackler, it's not total BS. IMO, there is no way a person with 250 hrs PIC (especially in a 152 flying around the patch), should be allowed as a captain in a jet with 50 paying pax behind them. As I'm sure you are aware, there's a whole lot more to being a captain than just flying from A to B.

I don't know what the magical number is, but when you're biggest decision as a PIC is whether or not to do a touch and go, it's almost as bad as "Well, I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night."

My biggest concern would be lack of PIC time period. I don't care if you flew a Cessna or a 747. If you only have 250 hours (or less) as the PIC, making the ULTIMATE decisions for the aircraft operation, then I would be scared to ride on that plane. You need to have command experience in something before you fly an airliner, and it should be at least the minimum if not more. Tow banners, instruct... do something other than ride in the right and watch someone else do it. You can learn from that but nothing is like making the decisions for yourself.

I still can't believe that idiot VP of Safety at Pinnacle said their hiring practices "are among the most rigorous in the industry." Please don't insult my intelligence with that garbage.

What more is to be gained from another 1000hr pic in the traffic pattern?

My point is that there come a point when your first hour of 121 pic, with no prior 121 pic experience.

I think that an FO who takes an active role in the operation rather than going along for the ride will make a better CA. Also, flying with a good CA/mentor who poses "what would you do if you were the CA" type questions certainly helps.

You are right zman, there is no magical number of cessna PIC that qualifies someone to be a good CA. Hopefully the ones that can't hack it are weeded out in the process.

Carl_Spackler said:
What more is to be gained from another 1000hr pic in the traffic pattern?

Time is what you make of it. Hopefully each hour you at least try to learn something.

By your logic, we should test ATP's purely by ability and get rid of all minimum times. After all, if you can do it what does it matter if you have 1500 hours of traffic pattern?

I agree that there is no magic number and having total time doesn't make you a good pilot. But please, please don't kid yourself that someone with under 250 PIC who is "actively involved" will be just as good a captain.

We all have to learn sometime but it shouldn't be when you become an airline captain. This is a point that would have served your friends on 3701 quite well.

PCL_128 said:
I don't know where you got this "information," but it most certainly is not the truth. The company did send a request to the POI to be able to use the exact same rules that every other airline is able to use: count half of your SIC time towards the 250 PIC requirement for the ATP. The POI refused, so now one of our pilots has requested an official interpretation of the regs from the Council General. The DTW LEC has actively been researching this topic for the last few weeks, and there is absolutely zero doubt at this point that SIC time can be used for the PIC requirement. We have received numerous opinions from FSDOs all over the country that agree with the company's request. The NWA POI also agreed that SIC time can be used as PIC for this purpose. The POI in the MEM FSDO is the only person that thinks this is unacceptable. As soon as the Council General hands down an official interpretation, then the POI's opinion is meaningless. He will have to comply with what the official interpretation states.

What your forgetting here is that this has nothing to do with the FAA. 250 hours PIC is a COMPANY REQUIREMENT (coincidentaly it is the same as standard ATP mins). This is no different from the company requiring 3500 hours total time for upgrade when the FAA only requires 1500.

The FAA does not have a dog in this fight and all the POI's in the country cannot overturn what the company mandates its pilots to have before they are eligible for upgrade. Thats why I said that this B.S. about the company pleading for a favorable interpretation from the FAA is crap. This has nothing to do with the FAA....it never did.

Cleca--

Why don't you cite the appropriate 121 regulation? Because it doesn't exist. What you refer to is a practice employed by the HR departments of certain airlines. Those departments often allow a sortie credit for mil pilots. I don't think you will find a regulation allowing that either. Which is not to say that you are wrong, for the purposes of interviewing--I think that kind of (legal) agressive logging would be frowned upon, often beause of the fact that it is contrarty to the instructions on the application.

Zman--

In the kids' defense, they still have to have 3500 total, 2500 multi (and whatever time in type reductions, I forget what they were 4 years ago)--if you hire them with 700 total, 180 PIC and after three plus years with you they have 3500 total, 3300 Multi, 3200 Turbine, 2800 Jet in type, 180 PIC (realistic numbers for a Gulfstreamer/PFTer) forcing them to go fly 20-70 hours on their own dime, at FO pay, is pretty harsh considering it flies in the face of previously established policy. Where are they supposed to get the time? They aren't allowed to fly anywhere else, can't afford to rent a Warrior on weekends.

Whatever you have or have not learned in 2800 hours in type will show on your type ride. Will that lack of PIC time/experience make a difference at this stage of the game? It shouldn't. Will some 4-banger time around the pattern add to the 121 Jet Captain skills at this stage of the game? Probably not. Isn't the JOB of the APDs and check airmen to find this out while examining the candidate's training record? Isn't this relieving training of their responsibility and exonerating the hiring practices of the last four years? And again, he with Daddy's checkbook, wins.

Best/Worst Case scenarios:
20 hours x $50/hr for a friends 150 = $1000.
70 hours X $200/hr for a new 172 with all the surcharges here in MSP += $14,000.

So the rich kid will have no problem, while the guy with a wife and kid needs the wife to get a second job so he can buy time to upgrade at some point. This makes the airline safer HOW?

-----
I left just as the 'streamers were staring to come aboard, so I have no experince with them. I would venture that they fill the same bell curve as everyone else: some rock, some suck, most are good. They may have picked up a few muppets. This may be the result of, or simply more obvious because of, their low time at hire. Either way, they have been there for three years--either they can do it or they need to get pink slipped until they can--just like we did with Saab upgrades in 2000 when they went to people with 1-2 years seniority. "It's not show friends, it's show business."

This is just another example of 9E management changing the rules for their benefit (most likely insurance premiums) in the middle of the game--and an MEC Chair who identifies to readily with management's needs as the owner of a family trucking company. Hey Terry, Phil, and whoever else is in between: you hired them, now train them! If they aren't ready after three years, what kind of an airline are you running? (<---said with a straight face)

Latest resources

Back