• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle: Northwest shopping for bidders on Airlink fleet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think Mesa , CHQ and SkyWest are in good postion. Look at Mesaba they have 3 CRJ's in the factory that wont be delivered, It doesnt look to good for them. It going to be a company that can get a large order of airplanes in a short time frame. Look for someone that already has options for airframes.

Things are very unpredictable right now. Mostly because it is a poker/chess game and you never know what NWA managment wants. Airline managment is directly motivated by politics and emotion and only indirectly by money. They are motivated to do what is in their own personal best interest and not NWAs. This is a fact of human nature and is the secret of any good salesman.

NWA managment is currently (and always has) been telling NWA ALPA NEWCO will be "76 to 100" seaters. Therefore any bidding on 76 seats or less is NOT NEWCO and nothing new. They want 76 and below to be bid on by regionals. Steenland said only a few weeks ago he sees Mesaba (specifically using their name) possibly flying 70 seaters and he also mentioned AVROS with 74 seats under new managment (I still haven't figured that one out). He said this to a group of NWA pilots. Maybe this is why Mesaba is trying so hard for pay cuts. Or maybe Steenland is trying to spread rumors.

NWA ALPA is strongly against the regionals flying 70 seaters and this is the biggest issue for negotiations. Maybe NWA managment is trying to get NWA ALPA to go as low as possible to maintain the 70+ seat flying and will use the regional bids from Mesa/Pinnacle/etc as leverage during negotions.

blackbox said:
I heard there is a 5 year waiting list for the E-170.

After going behind the Brazilians back and secure a huge order for CRJ's from the Candanians, I don't think NWA can bargin for crazy Ed's rock bottom prices on Emb170's from a position of strength. Most likely the 76 seater would be CRJ900 with a first cabin ala the Avro.

Just remember you guys wanted to fly jets, and you have been willing to fly for nothing in the past. Just remember the past, if you do not learn from it you will repeat it. this is a comcessionary environment, not improvement. Management will use the mesa's of world because of price and stock price options for them. they don't care about you. I am not trying to piss you off, but this is the way it is.

The major airlines are shrinking not expanding, so you might want to think of other career options if you don't want to work for 35K for the rest of you of your life. Oh yea you must fund your own 401k on that.

Good luck on the race to the bottom

Detroitpilot22 said:
dont they still have to get rid of scope clause before anything like this happens.

Yes they do. I guess Northwest management just wants to get started early.

tie1on said:
Just remember you guys wanted to fly jets, and you have been willing to fly for nothing in the past. Just remember the past, if you do not learn from it you will repeat it. this is a comcessionary environment, not improvement. Management will use the mesa's of world because of price and stock price options for them. they don't care about you. I am not trying to piss you off, but this is the way it is.

The major airlines are shrinking not expanding, so you might want to think of other career options if you don't want to work for 35K for the rest of you of your life. Oh yea you must fund your own 401k on that.

Good luck on the race to the bottom

Hold on a second, these airplanes are out of the scope agreement. That hasn't been settled. This is just a way to screw pinnacle how they screwed mesaba. In 6 months, NWA is going to be a very different beast. NewCo is a company northwest is using as levelage to buy more aircraft and shed debt. They need companies with large amounts of cash on hand. Both 9E and XJ have this, although XJ is in a better position right now. Remember NewCo serves many purposes. Here is the list:

1. Get out of the scope agreement of NWA pilots to reduce labor costs.
2. Explore the LCC market to allow strong competion between NWA and the LCC's
3. Allow NewCo to take upon its self a huge amount of debt NWA does not have to pay.
4. The debt NWA will not incur as a result of NewCo will be used to expand the cargo operation at NWA two fold or more.
5. Replace aging DC-9 fleet in almost a 1.25 to 1 exchange(more airplanes).
6. Use NewCo low cost advantage, as a revenue generater to expand the international fleet.
7. Form GroundCo to allow for lower labor costs.
8. Allow the Hub and Spoke feeder model to remain viable.

This is the management wish list. It's an expansion plan, which will almost double the size of the NWA fleet. The $64,000 question is who are the pilots going to be. Since you guys are fighting amoungst youselves it really gives management the upper hand.

Latest resources

Back