Pinnacle flap procedure?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Chosen One

I was curious if it's normal procedure for you guys to bring your flaps to takeoff setting as you're cleared into position? Possibly after de-icing? I was in BOS yesterday behind a flagshipper who was holding short with flaps at 0. I thought for sure they must have missed it or something, so when he was cleared on the hold, I mentioned it over the radio as an FYI. They replied back with "we know" and then dropped the flaps. Is that Pinnacle procedure? Seems that would be a lousy time to find out you have a burned out flap motor.

Last edited:
.....unless the warning system was deferred like happened to NWA in DTW.

xjcaptain said:
.....unless the warning system was deferred like happened to NWA in DTW.

I always wonder where you guys get this stuff from; the CAWS system was not deferred. It was never proven as to why it did not work, that is, either the circuit breaker had tripped, was pulled or had varnished contacts...a fairly common problem with that particular type of circuit breaker.

Running some checklists would have helped also. None were called for after engine start and none were accomplished.

I thought it was deferred, however maybe I should have said "inoperative" as that may have been more precise. Point is that total dependance on automated warning systems will not keep you bacon out of the fire, only good SOP.

chperplt said:
Anyone ever ferry with the flaps stuck at 20? 215 and below is WAY TOO SLOW!!!

Had a "Flaps Fail" at 0 turning final at TOL. Spent basically the whole next day waiting for a mechanic to fix it but ended up doing TOL-MCN at flaps 20. The speed wasn't that bad but the pitch attitude was definitely strange. Felt like I was on final for 500 miles.

Felt like I was on final for 500 miles

Yea, that it did!!

The ferry procedure calls for avoiding mod or greater turb.. We were getting bounced around pretty good. A nice crosswind made for an interesting landing as well.

Hey Chosen One,

I was the FO on that flight. Typical procedure is to set the flaps for TO during the taxi. However, there was quite a bit of slush/wet snow on the ramp/taxiways that day. The Captain wanted to keep the flaps retracted until we were on the relatively clean runway to avoid collecting slush in the flap wells. So that was the reasoning behind what you saw.

Thanks for the heads-up though. It's nice to know other crews will give a shout if they see something that doesn't look right. Take care.

crocodile said:
Typical procedure is to set the flaps for TO during the taxi. However, there was quite a bit of slush/wet snow on the ramp/taxiways that day. The Captain wanted to keep the flaps retracted until we were on the relatively clean runway to avoid collecting slush in the flap wells.

Be very careful doing this. It's not approved in our FCOM and FOM. When you're not used to putting the flaps down at that point, you can easily forget until you get a CONFIG FLAPS warning when you advance the thrust levers.

Latest resources

Back