Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots wearing backpacks??? lets get campy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rez O. Lewshun said:
Ok...more of the same reasoning....

Backpacks look/are unprofessional because some Flight Operations Manuals say do not use them. If a pilots' FOM says backpacks are prohibited and a pilot still uses one; that is unprofessional. I understand your FOM may not address backpacks. I did use this arguement in my post.

One reason why some FOMs prohibit backpacks is image. Right or wrong, most people that use backpacks are hikers, campers and students. These three activities are are not professional activities. In fact, students are on the opposite end of professionals. In addition, most students in the US are under the age of 22. Backpack usage, right or wrong, is the image of a teenager/student.

When we think of other professionals, lawyers, doctors, Military Officers, architects etc. We think of clean pressed suits and uniforms. And accessories/luggage that compliment the suit/clothing or uniform.

Here are two more arguments against the backpack.

1. Would you wear a backpack to a pilot interview?

2. We don't wear our luggage. We don't put on our rollerboard, or our flight case. But one does put on a backpack. That makes the backpack unique.

In addition, most FOMs state that luggage must be black. Is the arguement for any color luggage ok? Backpacks weren't an issue in the 90's. At least I don't recall them being worn by many. Why the change? Why have pilots, mostly young, begun to change the luggage usage to backpacks? Perhaps changes to FOMs will include no backpacks. Maybe not.

So here are my arguements.

1. Backpacks give the image of a teenager and/or student.
2. Professionals don't wear their luggage.
3. Backpacks were not a uniform issue until the new millenium.
4. Some pilots wear the backpack even though thier FOM says no.

The idea is to self regulate. Not see what boundries we can push.

All I can do is offer my reasoning. God forbid I am actually telling you not to wear a backpack. You have to make that choice on on your own.

OK, now we actually have something to debate. Here we go:

1. Backpacks give the image of a teenager and/or student.

OK, so by this argument, we are supposed to look at someone wearing a backpack and assume that they are a 22 year old student. So, when I went to my airline interview in a suit, do you think that the interviewers looked at me and said, "Oh, he's wearing a suit, he must be a Baptist minister!" Or a lawyer. Or a businessman. The list goes on and on. Do I need to look at someone wearing a polo shirt and immediately assume they are a golfer? How about I look at someone wearing glasses and immediately assume they are a rocket scientist. How about when a Fortune 500 pilot gets out of a $20 million G550 wearing a polo shirt and khakis. Golf is a leisure activity, so is that unprofessional? You see what I'm getting at here? The old saying 'don't judge a book by its cover' does come from somewhere, you know.

Nowhere in our FOM did it say anything about luggage color, backpacks, etc. I have to think it was because the people that wrote it knew that there were better things to worry about then that. So why would I want to spend another $50 bucks on a laptop case from Office Depot when I could just carry it around in my backpack? Especially on a RJ copilot salary? This isn't a prison camp, it's a job. I understand a uniform, just like I understand any office saying you can't show up in a wife-beater and cutoffs. But enough is enough. When someone starts trying to control every little aspect, then we have a problem. Especially on something as insignificant as a backpack, which, as we've already established, a large percentage of people see no problem with.

Covered in my last paragraphs.

So? When issues appear, you deal with them. That's life. I still say you're making a moutain out of a molehill.

4. Some pilots wear a backpack even when the FOM says no.

This one I agree with you on. If the manual says no, you can't do it. However, if that were true to the letter, then the Declaration of Independence would never have been written. If you don't like something in the FOM, change it through the proper channels. But saying everyone can't do it because one company's FOM says it doesn't hold water.

By the way, I DID wear my backpack to my pilot interview. I had my logbooks, paperwork, etc. in it. I didn't have a briefcase, and I wasn't about to go buy one just for that. And....I got the job. As a matter of fact, I've never not gotten a job that I interviewed for.

This thread is becoming more gayer by the minute

CapnVegetto,

I edited my post to include #5. Please respond. #5 is an arguement to your response to my #1.

Your response is to my #3 is not debatable. It is a rhetoric and pure opinion without reason.

Would you wear a packback to a dream job interview? SWA, jB, FX, UPS? Where I work a pilot applicant could wear a clown suit and get hired. But I wouldn't and that is just where I work.

And yes, FN FAL is gay. :)

Last edited:
FedEx1 said:
acaTerry...as a FedEx Engineer (I am assuming this based on your TT only) said:
You took it wrong. I was just saying that the "look" is less important to a darktime outfit like FedEx. Not at all to say you guys "don't count", unless you lose my package!
Anyway, I am simply referring to the "coincidental" decline in the lifestyle, pay and benefits of the job with the new breed of pilot coming in who has no regard for the things such as image and maturity. It adds up to what we are seeing here today. Cry all you want kids, but you are shooting yourselves in the foot.

BTW, congratulations on the 10/11, it is so much better sitting straight ahead, isn't it?

I hope that I am not speaking out of turn but I feel that ROL has raised some fantastic points. I constantly hear complaints about how we are paid so low and how we are professional’s but it seem as if we continue to engage in activity that is not becoming of a professional, having Captains sleep with FO or FA. I have heard pilots say take the wings epilates and tie off. When you see a military officer going home and stops by the store he does not remove his medal ties and rank insignias. (am not saying that I support the dweeb that is trying to using it to help make up for some inferiority complex.) I have to say that the most annoying thing that I have to constantly put up with is having some one make some statement that I can't be a pilot due to my age. This problem of perception is something that individuals wearing backpacks will only exasperate. I have heard people that it is easer to just use a Back pack. It would be really easy to show up in flip flops, shorts, and a tee-shirt and in two day you can turn it inside out and go the rest of the Trip. We have uniforms and appropriate conduct in order to bolster public confidence. How much confidence you would have in your attorney if he showed to court in a sloppy suite and a Back pack.

Yes some day all FOM will have no back packs, no ---, no ---, no --we will reach a point that the FOM will be twice the size as all the systems books. In the mean time could be please self regulate ourselves. Other wise we will reach a point where the regulations on what we can and can’t dot will be unbearable.

PBRstreetgang said:
Hey,
I resemble that remark, I think all the uniform Nazis that rant and rave about uniforms, hats and backpacks are possibly the same ones who PFT'd. Professionalism is defined differently in the dictionary, hats and backpacks are not mentioned. Wear a thong, and flip-flops, I don't care just vote with me at contract time for more money. Otherwise relax and enjoy that 350hrs a month TAFB.
PBR
I'm not a uniform nazi by any means, I just think that backpacks look stupid on pilots, have never emerged until recently and are just another sign og the immaturity of the losers who show up to work looking like garbage and complain about the pay, lack of respect, etc.
Rezz O. Lewshun has been making a lot of good points, but too much to stomach for many of the babies in here.
BTW, I never PFT'd. I waited it out and instructed longer until the whole thing blew over..

Rez O. Lewshun said:
CaptnVegetto, you arguement for the backpack is solid on the premise of how you feel about it. As I said before it is not about me rather we.
Let's change the backpack to facial jewelry. For some reason, lets say for discussion, pilots started wearing eyebrow and lip rings. A pilot can insist all day long that he is professional but the looks and stares from his passengers suggests something else. It is what they believe. If your chief pilot, fellow crewmembers and passengers believe you are professional then you are. If they don't....then you aren't.

So here are my arguements. Debate them.

1. Backpacks give the image of a teenager and/or student. Anti-Pro.
4. Some pilots wear the backpack even though thier FOM says no.
5. It is what our customers, employeer and fellow pilot believe.

Ok, my response:

You are comparing apples to oranges. These are two totally different things, looked on two completely different ways by society. Eyebrow rings and lip rings are a far sight more 'progressive' than backpacks. That's like sentencing someone to the death penalty for jaywalking. You have to use some common sense. Read my previous post about wife-beaters and cutoffs. I realize it's not a gallup poll, but in relation to this topic, I asked my neighbor what she thought of a pilot wearing a backpack, (this is the same one I mentioned in a previous post), and here exact words were, "What?? I don't care about that." I realize it's not a poll or anything, but it's an example of customers believe.

Now I offer this:

1. Customers don't care. They go whereever the cheapest ticket is. They have proven this time and time again with travelocity, expedia, priceline, etc. No brand loyalty. They don't care who's flying them as long as they can pay $39 bucks a leg.

2. Employer. If they cared, why did my FOM say nothing about it? Why does my current FOM say nothing about it? Why do a lot of the FOM's out there say nothing?

3. Fellow pilots. Once again, as in my previous post, this message board is the first time I've EVER seen or heard anything negative about wearing a backpack. No DO, CP, check airman, captain, or first officer has EVER said ANYTHING to me about it. EVER. My argument doesn't need to change here.

Last edited:
Rez O. Lewshun said:
Would you wear a packback to a dream job interview? SWA, jB, FX, UPS? Where I work a pilot applicant could wear a clown suit and get hired. But I wouldn't and that is just where I work.

And yes, FN FAL is gay. :)

Oh yeah, and none of those jobs are my 'dream job'. I have no interest in working for SWA, JB, AT, and while FX and UPS are great jobs, flying on the wrong side of the clock just wouldn't work with me. My career aspirations are quite different then most. :)

CapnVegetto said:
Then what're you doin' here bud? :D
hehehehe...I just never thought we'd see this many pages of dialogue on backpackers v. non-backpackers.

Latest resources

Back