Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots wearing backpacks??? lets get campy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wonder if this thread will overtake the "hottest flight attendant" thread??? I doubt it though!!! I started this thread to get a "feel" from the pilots out there about the whole backpack issue as I for one think it is inapropriate and unprofessional. It seems that the younger guys take offense to the "criticism"
but the wearing of a backpack makes us all look sloppy,cheap, and not as a Professional Pilot. If a Delta Pilot was to wear a backpack I am sure that his fellow pilots would put such pressure on him to get rid of it before he stepped out of ops. If I happen to get paired up with an F/O wearing one I will surely voice my objection to it.

As far as the night cargo guys go, you are not in the public eye so really anything goes and nobody cares. But walking through a terminal looking less professional than the skycap who checks your bags is pretty pathetic. HS

Last edited:
God, some of you people need to get a life. It's a backpack. A BACKPACK!!! It's NOT A BIG DEAL!!! And yes, I used to wear one, when I needed it. I would do it again. If someone doesn't like it, tough. Make a regulation against it. I never had a problem with anyone about it. Some of you uniform nazis seriously need to get laid.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
CapnVegetto seems to turn his attitude around a little.... He was defining is professionalism by his environment and observations. It is hard to go four wheelin through unknown territorty.....in a Ford Focus.......

Ummm......what????

That makes about as much sense as a soup sandwich. Perhaps you should word it differently.

I disagree with Holy Shiiite too. Cutoff jeans and a wife beater make you look unprofessional. A backpack does nothing of the sort. Hell, I wish they'd let me wear a polo shirt and khakis. I'd do it in a second!

Get a life people.

CapnVegetto said:
God, some of you people need to get a life. It's a backpack. A BACKPACK!!! It's NOT A BIG DEAL!!! And yes, I used to wear one, when I needed it. I would do it again. If someone doesn't like it, tough. Make a regulation against it. I never had a problem with anyone about it. Some of you uniform nazis seriously need to get laid.

What I get from your quote is from my three year old watching Dora the Explorer when she uses her backpack. The intro song.....to the backpack scene in every Dora cartoon.:rolleyes:

Do you need a regulation to mandate your image? Professionals do not need to be policed. We do not need the FAA and Company babysitting us. Or do we/you? Is there a policy manual that says backpacks are accpetable? probably not. But if it doesn't say I can't then I can, right?

Is that your best arguement... ?? That we need to get a life and that it is just a backpack? If it is not a big deal, then why use one? If you cannot (and thus HAVE NOT) logically and soundly argued the use of backpacks by professional pilots as a positive, then you simply are ineffective.

If you'd like a good arguement for using the backpack, try this one on. (no pun intended) They are convienent and easy to carry your "stuff" around.

Of course my counter is.....this. Is your convience worth a deminished image for all pilots?

If you are going to argue that backpacks are accpetable then you must show that their use by pilots will not have a negative effect. This thread shows that backpacks are four wheelin' in unknown territory at the least. (I know you don't like this analogy, but it is very fitting.... if you know what I mean. Do you?)

What is the backpack an alternative to? A rollerboard, like Travelpro or Luggage Works? Or even a flight case? How about discussing the how a backback is just as professional looking..... I have seen many USAF/USN Officers wearing backpacks in uniform. (on the Metro to/from the Pentagon) I think a briefcase is much more professional looking. But I guess it is harder to carry a briefcase.

Your "God!", "get a life", "no regulation against it" and "Get Laid" arguements FOR the backpack are about as amatuer hour and freshman as a 15 year old schoolgirl....with her backpack on...

CapnVegetto said:
Ummm......what????

That makes about as much sense as a soup sandwich. Perhaps you should word it differently.

I disagree with Holy Shiiite too. Cutoff jeans and a wife beater make you look unprofessional. A backpack does nothing of the sort. Hell, I wish they'd let me wear a polo shirt and khakis. I'd do it in a second!

Get a life people.

I could word it differently. Do you think you'd understand again?

OK.. here goes.....

Instead of climbing into your head (figure of speach) and deciding what is a professional image you'd rather simply mirror the current trends of clothing and accessiories (backpacks). Here is a hint. Ok, it is not a hint, it is as clear as can be.... Using current trends, pop culture and fads to define your professional image and attitude is not what we as Air Line Pilots are all about.

All the passengers are expected to do is sit in the cabin and complain and whine. Kinda like your post. (I know, cheap shot... ) They can wear, say and do what they like. (within the law) Just because the passengers are wearing sweatpants and tank tops to travel, doesn't mean you can dumb down the professional pilot image. As pilots, alot more is expected.

Look, if you want flying jets to be just a job like most people have, then you can take the path of least resistance, show up for work, do your job and go home. If you want to define your job as a career and reap the rewards, including financial, then make conscience choices.

Is the opinion of your fellow pilots not of value? If a percentage of them are telling you to reconsider your travel gear.. then maybe you should. Before you respond, at what point would you listen to your fellow pilots when they are offering a critque you don't agree? Does it have to be a majority? Overwhelming?

Finally, I am getting laid. And without a backpack.:D

And I do have a life. A rather good one. And my good life is dependant, in part, on my professional image. And to a certian extent.... your professional image or lack thereof.

We not me.

Last edited:
Paradoxus said:
Oh please...

I can deduce by your gross antipathy for us "kids," coupled by your odious usage of such archaic terminology as woodsy the owl and for crying out loud, that you are some form of washed up, 40+ year old 5000 hour loser. Do you really have nothing better to occupy your time with than absurd objections to people's choice of LUGGAGE? It seems all of the childlike-reasoning and immaturity is coming from under your rock.

Pathetic.

/will now begin wearing my Social Distortion backpack on a far more regular basis while on trips.
Hey,
I resemble that remark, I think all the uniform Nazis that rant and rave about uniforms, hats and backpacks are possibly the same ones who PFT'd. Professionalism is defined differently in the dictionary, hats and backpacks are not mentioned. Wear a thong, and flip-flops, I don't care just vote with me at contract time for more money. Otherwise relax and enjoy that 350hrs a month TAFB.
PBR

Rez O. Lewshun said:
What I get from your quote is from my three year old watching Dora the Explorer when she uses her backpack. The intro song.....to the backpack scene in every Dora cartoon.:rolleyes:

Do you need a regulation to mandate your image? Professionals do not need to be policed. We do not need the FAA and Company babysitting us. Or do we/you?

Is that your best arguement... ?? That we need to get a life and that it is just a backpack? If it is not a big deal, then why use one? If you cannot (and thus HAVE NOT) logically and soundly argued the use of backpacks by professional pilots as a positive, then you simply are ineffective.

If you'd like a good arguement for using the backpack, try this one on. They are convienent and easy to carry my "stuff" around.

Of course my counter is.....this. Is your convience worth a deminished image for all pilots?

What is the backpack an alternative to? A rollerboard, like Travelpro or Luggage Works? Or even a flight case? How about discussing the how a backback is just as professional looking..... I have seen many USAF/USN wearing backpacks in unifrom. I think a briefcase is much more professional looking. But I guess it is harder to carry a briefcase.

Your "God!", "get a life", "no regulation against it" and "Get Laid" arguements FOR the backpack are about as amatuer hour and freshman as a 15 year old schoolgirl....with her backpack on...

I could word it differently. Do you think you'd understand again?

OK.. here goes.....

Instead of climbing into your head (figure of speach) and deciding what is a professional image you'd rather simply mirror the current trends of clothing and accessiories (backpacks). Here is a hint. Ok, it is not a hint, it is as clear as can be.... Using current trends, pop culture and fads to define your professional image and attitude is not what we as Air Line Pilots are all about. The passengers are expected to sit in the cabin. They can wear, say and do what they like. (within the law) Just because the passengers are wearing sweatpants and tank tops to travel, doesn't mean you can dumb down the professional pilot image.

Is the opinion of your fellow pilots not of value? If a percentage of them are telling you to reconsider your travel gear.. then maybe you should. Before you respond, at what point would you listen to your fellow pilots when they are offering a critque you don't agree? Does it have to be a majority? Overwhelming?

Finally, I am getting laid. And without a backpack.:D

And I do have a life. A rather good one. And my good life is dependant on my professional image. And to a certian extent.... your professional image.

We not me.

Ah, here we have yet another holier than thou old guy that thinks he knows everything.

First and foremost, I had a rollerboard AND a flight case. What does my laptop go in? Answer: my BACKPACK.

Second, I'd sure love to know who in the hell made you the god of all things professional? So YOU don't like a backpack? YOU think it's unprofessional? What about the other 5,000 people out there like me that see nothing wrong with it? Should we immediately bow down to Rez O. Lewshun because he is omniscient and knows all about all things backpack? Exactly the type of jacka$$ attitude I was talking about earlier.

Your "Is your convience worth a deminished image for all pilots?" argument holds no water for two reasons. #1, If I am indeed 15 years old, at least I know how to spell the word 'diminished', and #2, that kind of broad-sweeping generalization is precisely what I was referring to when I speak of 'holier than thou old guys.'

Now on to your ridiculous ascertation that I base all of my decisions on 'pop culture' and 'fads'. You have never met me, you have never seen me anywhere, you have no idea who I am , where I live, what I'm like, anything. And yet, by some miracle, you think you know me. Must be more of that 'god' complex you have. I've already stated why I wear a backpack when needed, and it has nothing to do with a 'fad'. My 'professional image' is fine. It's not hurt by me wearing a backpack every once in a while to carry extra things I need because you say so.

Is the opinion of my fellow pilot not important? I have never once had any captain or copilot ever complain about my apperarance, or claim that I look 'unprofessional'. The percentage of them that have told me that I should reconsider my travel gear......0%. Apparently there are a few crusty old farts out there that have some kind of god complex and believe that they should be telling others what to do. Until a vast majority of people can give me a good reason that will convince me otherwise, then I will continue to wear a backpack. "Because Rez O. Lewshun thinks so" is not a valid reason, and will never be.

I think I'll put my backpack on now.

CaptnVegetto,

Sorry to read your hasty response. I am not sure why you took it personally, my post. I was debating the choice to use backpacks. Why are you defending yourself personally? I am sure you are a fine employee and pilot. Let's stick to the issue.

Not sure why you think a conservative professional image is holier than thou? Holier than thou comments are usually weak defensive remarks for lack of sound arguement. Also, screw me/screw you isn't good debate either. (a bit pre-emptive)

I really can't use your modus operandi and the backpack to indicate immaturity because that wouldn't fair. Besides, a very senior old man that I repsect uses a backpack when he flies. (I politely and professionally offered my thoughts)And that would also debunk my thoery.

Sure my spelling was incorrect. Thanks for pointing that out. ( I think)

My spelling errors do not weaken my arguement. Yet, you think they do. And your belief that I have a holier than thou attitude is not a flaw in my arguement.

Lets get back on topic shall we? Can you?

Rez O. Lewshun said:
CaptnVegetto,

Sorry to read your hasty response. I am not sure why you took it personally, my post. I was debating the choice to use backpacks. Why are you defending yourself personally? I am sure you are a fine employee and pilot. Let's stick to the issue.

Not sure why you think a conservative professional image is holier than thou? Holier than thou comments are usually weak defensive remarks for lack of sound arguement. Also, screw me/screw you isn't good debate either. (a bit pre-emptive)

I really can't use your modus operandi and the backpack to indicate immaturity because that wouldn't fair. Besides, a very senior old man that I repsect uses a backpack when he flies. (I politely and professionally offered my thoughts)And that would also debunk my thoery.

Sure my spelling was incorrect. Thanks for pointing that out. ( I think)

My spelling errors do not weaken my arguement. Yet, you think they do. And your belief that I have a holier than thou attitude is not a flaw in my arguement.

Lets get back on topic shall we? Can you?

Forgive me, but I get really pi$$ed off when someone simply judges that I'm an unprofessional inferior pilot because I choose to wear a backpack when I need the extra carry space. I get really pi$$ed off when someone tells me that I should dress/act/think a certain way because they say so.

I was defending myself personally because the above is what I gathered from your post. Perhaps I was a bit hasty in my 'holier-than-thou' assesment, but you still have yet to give me a reason that a backpack is unprofessional looking other that 'I think it is.' You even pointed out that someone older and more experienced than you wears one, and sees nothing wrong with it. He doesn't see a problem, I don't see a problem, and a very large percentage of pilots out there don't see a problem, so why do you? Because you THINK it looks unprofessional? That's your opinion, fine. Don't wear one. But don't expect me or anyone else to stop simply because you think we should. I need a reason.

Ritalin Generation:

Dont judge me guddam it, im Pi$$ed, earn my respect. give me a reason. get a life. get laid. dont tell me.

CapnVegetto said:
Forgive me, but I get really pi$$ed off when someone simply judges that I'm an unprofessional inferior pilot because I choose to wear a backpack when I need the extra carry space. I get really pi$$ed off when someone tells me that I should dress/act/think a certain way because they say so.

I was defending myself personally because the above is what I gathered from your post. Perhaps I was a bit hasty in my 'holier-than-thou' assesment, but you still have yet to give me a reason that a backpack is unprofessional looking other that 'I think it is.' You even pointed out that someone older and more experienced than you wears one, and sees nothing wrong with it. He doesn't see a problem, I don't see a problem, and a very large percentage of pilots out there don't see a problem, so why do you? Because you THINK it looks unprofessional? That's your opinion, fine. Don't wear one. But don't expect me or anyone else to stop simply because you think we should. I need a reason.

Ok...more of the same reasoning....

Backpacks look/are unprofessional because some Flight Operations Manuals say do not use them. If a pilots' FOM says backpacks are prohibited and a pilot still uses one; that is unprofessional. I understand your FOM may not address backpacks. I did use this arguement in my post.

One reason why some FOMs prohibit backpacks is image. Right or wrong, most people that use backpacks are hikers, campers and students. These three activities are are not professional activities. In fact, students are on the opposite end of professionals. In addition, most students in the US are under the age of 22. Backpack usage, right or wrong, is the image of a teenager/student.

When we think of other professionals, lawyers, doctors, Military Officers, architects etc. We think of clean pressed suits and uniforms. And accessories/luggage that compliment the suit/clothing or uniform. If I saw W. walking to Marine One with a packback on, I'd think he had some personal activities planned... not the agenda of the US Gov't.

Here are two more arguments against the backpack.

1. Would you wear a backpack to a pilot interview?

2. We don't wear our luggage. We don't put on our rollerboard, or our flight case. But one does put on a backpack. That makes the backpack unique.

In addition, most FOMs state that luggage must be black. Is the arguement for any color luggage ok? Backpacks weren't an issue in the 90's. At least I don't recall them being worn by many. Why the change? Why have pilots, mostly young, begun to change the luggage usage to backpacks? Perhaps changes to FOMs will include no backpacks. Maybe not.

CaptnVegetto, you arguement for the backpack is solid on the premise of how you feel about it. As I said before it is not about me rather we.
Let's change the backpack to facial jewelry. For some reason, lets say for discussion, pilots started wearing eyebrow and lip rings. A pilot can insist all day long that he is professional but the looks and stares from his passengers suggests something else. It is what they believe. If your chief pilot, fellow crewmembers and passengers believe you are professional then you are. If they don't....then you aren't.

So here are my arguements. Debate them.

1. Backpacks give the image of a teenager and/or student. Anti-Pro.
2. Professionals don't wear their luggage.
3. Backpacks were not a uniform issue until the new millenium.
4. Some pilots wear the backpack even though thier FOM says no.
5. It is what our customers, employeer and fellow pilot believe.

The idea is to self regulate. Not see what boundries we can push.

All I can do is offer my reasoning. God forbid I am actually telling you not to wear a backpack. You have to make that choice on on your own.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back