Pilots & Tattoos

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyGirlFelicia

Ok, who has tattoos? Do you have them in places that can be covered up by your uniform? What about piercings? Is it mainly who you work for that determines how liberal the policy is in regards to hair/tats/piercings?

Just curious! :)

Although legally an employer can't discriminate, you'd be a fool to think it wouldn't be a big factor in an interview! Just walk down to a busy corporate FBO or airport terminal and see how many pilots you see with "sleeves" and "monkey hair"........................... Testical piercing shouldn't be an issue though!

I have a tattoo and several piercings, though I don't wear a uniform because I fly only for fun. I want to be an air traffic controller, and I'm actually not sure what the FAA's policies are on the matter. Nothing is in a spot where I can't hide it or temporarily remove it if I need to, though!

Uncle Sparky said:
Although legally an employer can't discriminate, you'd be a fool to think it wouldn't be a big factor in an interview!...
So you're telling me I should take the earring out for an inverview? If so, what do I do when questioned on it when I wear it to work one day?

I'm kind of dense when it comes to this stuff...

-mini

No tatto's, piercings, nor any other sort of self mutiliation. However, I might grow a ponytail once I get bald on top,,,,,,,,,not.

enigma

If I had a piercing, I wouldn't wear it to work. Especially if it were in a "private" area. Just imagine getting wanded by the TSA and them needing to verify the cause of the beep.

Also, when I was an Army recruiter, we had to ask applicants about tattoos. One female applicant said that she didn't have any but was thinking about getting a couple. We had to ask because racial or gang related tattoos are a disqualifier. She said that she was thinking about getting a Turkey and a Santa Clause. When asked why, she said she was going to put the turkey on one side of her crotch and the Santa on the other because she always heard that the best eating is between Thanksgiving and Christmas! True story!

minitour said:
So you're telling me I should take the earring out for an inverview? If so, what do I do when questioned on it when I wear it to work one day?

I'm kind of dense when it comes to this stuff...

-mini

Please tell me you DO NOT actually have an earing. You are a dude, right?

Art V.

FlyGirlFelicia said:
Ok, who has tattoos? Do you have them in places that can be covered up by your uniform? What about piercings? Is it mainly who you work for that determines how liberal the policy is in regards to hair/tats/piercings?
If you have to ask then don't plan on getting a job anywhere thats competitive.

Ravengirl said:
I have a tattoo and several piercings, though I don't wear a uniform because I fly only for fun. I want to be an air traffic controller, and I'm actually not sure what the FAA's policies are on the matter. Nothing is in a spot where I can't hide it or temporarily remove it if I need to, though!
Just from my visits to the Miami ARTCC and FLL tower when I was a CFI, I can tell you that for ATC's it shouldn't be an issue. There are a couple of ATC's that hang out here that I would suggest PM'ing for more accurate details. I believe VectorTroll/Vector4Fun/Midlifeflyer are a couple of em'..... I think age is the only limiting factor to begin ATC training.

I have three tattoos. One on each forearm and one on my bicep. One is a military tattoo, one is a skull and bones kinda thing, and one is none of your business. I was never asked about them during the interview because, thanks to the interview suit, they didn't know I had them. (Another variation on the don't ask, don't tell theme.)

They were a fine idea when I was 18 but, I wouldn't do it again. Fair or not, I believe that visible tattoos could be a huge detriment to obtaining good employment in a 'professional' occupation. Heck, I have tattoos and I judge young kids with piercings and tattoos negatively.

FWIW, I always wear short sleeved pilot shirts and only one Captain ever commented. Now I'm the NOMFIC and nobody ever says a word. I did have one pax comment that it made her feel comfortable knowing that someone who could defend himself was in the cockpit. Apparently the tatoos made her think I was some kind of hard ass. Unfortunately it was some sweet little old lady and not a hot young redhead.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back