• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots on food stamps.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nobody should shop at Walmart and pilots shouldnt have kids. Your arent home enough to watch them grow up anyway and your wife is always screwing around. Silly rabbitt, TRIX are for kids.

Old news, it's been happening well before you got into the airlines. Try the 80's! But there are several questions you have to ask.

1. Did he know the wages prior to taking the job?
2. Are there other airlines out there that pay better?
3. Did he have a choice, take the job at the wages or not?

There are several professions that have the same issues. Doctors, military, teachers and the list goes on.

1. Yes!

2. Yes! At the Major Airlines where you need tons of PIC time requiring many, many, many, did I say many, years at a regional airline. And with the 10 year upgrades at many of those airlines (Comair, Horizon, Eagle) and soon to be 5 plus year upgrades at other airlines (AWAC, PDT, PSA, TSA, ASA, ExJet,) One could very well be 40 or more years of age before even qualifying for a job at a Major. And even when one is qualified for a Major job, good luck finding one that is hiring, because of the mainline guys giving up scope like it's going out of style to protect the "haves" in this profession while saying to hell with the rest of us!

3.Life is full choices!

Doctors, Military, Teachers?? What the hell are you talking about? Are you talking about the Doctors that after a fixed period of time can count on not only earning a livable wage, but virtually a guaranteed 6 figure income?
A member of the military that after 20 years can retire with a fine pension at 40 years of age? The same age I might add that many regional pilots will be before even qualifying for a Major job, let alone get one!
A Teacher who after a given period of time gets tenure and earns the equivalent of what a regional CA makes?

Now go away you self righteous POD!

1. Yes!

2. Yes! At the Major Airlines where you need tons of PIC time requiring many, many, many, did I say many, years at a regional airline. And with the 10 year upgrades at many of those airlines (Comair, Horizon, Eagle) and soon to be 5 plus year upgrades at other airlines (AWAC, PDT, PSA, TSA, ASA, ExJet,) One could very well be 40 or more years of age before even qualifying for a job at a Major. And even when one is qualified for a Major job, good luck finding one that is hiring, because of the mainline guys giving up scope like it's going out of style to protect the "haves" in this profession while saying to hell with the rest of us!

3.Life is full choices!

Doctors, Military, Teachers?? What the hell are you talking about? Are you talking about the Doctors that after a fixed period of time can count on not only earning a livable wage, but virtually a guaranteed 6 figure income?
A member of the military that after 20 years can retire with a fine pension at 40 years of age? The same age I might add that many regional pilots will be before even qualifying for a Major job, let alone get one!
A Teacher who after a given period of time gets tenure and earns the equivalent of what a regional CA makes?

Now go away you self righteous POD!

Grow up kid. You missed my point you putz.

Where I work now I see people use their unemployment money to buy ATV's and Motorcycles accesories and parts. It's crazy some even go ahead and buy new vehicles I can't believe.

Sounds like one of these career paths would be better then a pilot then, might want to check them out.

Good point-

I love getting to line at Wal-Mart (or pretty much any other store,) and seeing some a-hole pull out one of those EBT cards and pay for crap I can't afford (nice, big steaks, etc.)

If I walk out of the store behind these people, they will invariably pull out a brand new I-Phone or Blackberry and start using in enroute to get into their $40K SUV.

-Real classy people.
Well you're not helping by shopping at walmart.

Professional piloting

I knew an individual many years ago who wanted to become a professional pilot and goal was to become a pilot for SWA. He considered getting his training through a civilian flight school or the military. I hadn't heard from him for a while. I spoke to him a few months ago and he is now a pilot at SWA and is very happy. He entered the military and went to flight school. He told me that he loved being in the military and the training they gave him. Most importantly, he loves working for a great company like Southwest Airlines. He has some friends who are working for the regional airlines and they HATE IT! They are very deep in debt and he isn't. Before one jumps in the water, test how deep it is. I heard become an aircraft mechanic is a good job and the pay is better.

We have a 10 year FO on food stamps. He's married with 5 kids. When he was hired people were upgrading after 6 months to a year. They were also told they would be at American in 4 to 5 years. 8 years later he upgraded only to be displaced into the right seat 6 months later.

Why not talk about how we can raise the floor.... if we do... it won't be so far for the rest of us to fall..... and it will help redefine the low standard of this profession....

anyone?

Latest resources

Back