Pilots on food stamps.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

suupah

Met my first Colgan pilot that is literally on food stamps and government assitance. I know there are probably many more out there but this is the first time I have actually heard an FO talk about it openly.

It is a really sad state of affairs when this highly trained, professional pilot such as this FO (he truly is one of the professional ones) isn't able to support and feed his small family that lives in a very inexpensive area of the country off of the salary recieved as a professional pilot. Oh and he is on second year pay.

Anyone else have this going on at their airline?

Being on Food Stamps or other government help programs is quite common in the professional pilot industry. Many times, pilots have a wife and 2 or 3 kids. At this point, the spouse usually stays at home to raise the kids if they are still young and not in school yet. 30K/year in not enough to support a wife and 3 kids with a car payment and a mortgage. It's sad to see a professional pilot who has to receive food stamps to get by. But this is how it is.

Met my first Colgan pilot that is literally on food stamps and government assitance. I know there are probably many more out there but this is the first time I have actually heard an FO talk about it openly.

It is a really sad state of affairs when this highly trained, professional pilot such as this FO (he truly is one of the professional ones) isn't able to support and feed his small family that lives in a very inexpensive area of the country off of the salary recieved as a professional pilot. Oh and he is on second year pay.

Anyone else have this going on at their airline?

Old news, it's been happening well before you got into the airlines. Try the 80's! But there are several questions you have to ask.

1. Did he know the wages prior to taking the job?
2. Are there other airlines out there that pay better?
3. Did he have a choice, take the job at the wages or not?

There are several professions that have the same issues. Doctors, military, teachers and the list goes on.

My wife used to work with a person whose husband is currently in Dental School. She quit her job where she worked when she got pregnant, and now stays at home. They both qualify for food stamps as a result.

Not sure how I feel about their situation, but I initially felt like it was an abuse of the system seeing she was gainfully employed before.

What the hell...the gov't is paying for cars, homes, why not food I guess.

My wife used to work with a person whose husband is currently in Dental School. She quit her job where she worked when she got pregnant, and now stays at home. They both qualify for food stamps as a result.

Not sure how I feel about their situation, but I initially felt like it was an abuse of the system seeing she was gainfully employed before.

Good point-

I love getting to line at Wal-Mart (or pretty much any other store,) and seeing some a-hole pull out one of those EBT cards and pay for crap I can't afford (nice, big steaks, etc.)

If I walk out of the store behind these people, they will invariably pull out a brand new I-Phone or Blackberry and start using in enroute to get into their $40K SUV.

-Real classy people.

Good point-

I love getting to line at Wal-Mart (or pretty much any other store,) and seeing some a-hole pull out one of those EBT cards and pay for crap I can't afford (nice, big steaks, etc.)

If I walk out of the store behind these people, they will invariably pull out a brand new I-Phone or Blackberry and start using in enroute to get into their $40K SUV.

-Real classy people.

Once while standing in line to purchase groceries at a supermarket, I watched the couple in front of me purchase a FULL wagon load of groceries paid for with food stamps. I mean this shopping cart was full to the top with groceries. After I paid for my provisions, I walked outside to see this couple loading their groceries into their brand new BMW 7-Series. WTF?

Good point-

-Real classy people.

Yep. Sucks don't it?

Once while standing in line to purchase groceries at a supermarket, I watched the couple in front of me purchase a FULL wagon load of groceries paid for with food stamps. I mean this shopping cart was full to the top with groceries. After I paid for my provisions, I walked outside to see this couple loading their groceries into their brand new BMW 7-Series. WTF?

Its kinda like how politicians don't pay taxes.

You just have to be sleazy enough to have a pair to work 'the system'.

Latest resources

Back