• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots on Food Stamps: Sez Michael Moore

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Post 9/11 ALPA gave away the farm. They watched as Management raided contracts and retirements. They should have pulled out the big guns but instead they sent experts to testify in front of judges. National did not watch the big picture and Duane Worth's inaction did more damage in 2 years than a commuter accident in BUF or a laptop incident over MSP; we will spend years trying to make up what was lost.

Post 9/11 ALPA gave away the farm. They watched as Management raided contracts and retirements. They should have pulled out the big guns but instead they sent experts to testify in front of judges. National did not watch the big picture and Duane Worth's inaction did more damage in 2 years than a commuter accident in BUF or a laptop incident over MSP; we will spend years trying to make up what was lost.

I think the real damage had already been done earlier, 9/11 and afterwards just brought it all to the surface for the ugly mess that it was

pilotyip
In the end everyone looks out for their own best interests, it is human nature.

Okay, but that "self interest" only served to harm ones own interests in the end. What good does that do, when selfishness harms the industry. There are many times where thinking about the bigger picture, results in the best outcome. Looking at just ones own life and "Sure Management can make an alter ego and give it those little barbie jets, as long as they give us something" or "I dont care about the pay, I just need to get in now and get my seniority, the pay will work itself out later" (made up quotes but representing thoughts that have existed often)

Think about it this way in terms of cooperative game theory as espoused by John Nash. When each person looks at them and only them, its easy for each person to lose. But when everyone works together for the best outcome and in a non-selfish way, it can result in much better outcomes than the ME ME ME approach so common in aviation.

Latest resources

Back