Pilots... not competent?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SpeedBug

The Brady Center aka The Violence Policy Center is a liberal gun control group run by the wife of Jim Brady, Prez. Reagan’s Press Sec who was shot in the head and nearly died from his wounds during the assignation attempt on Reagan’s life.

Read the foward to this letter.

Gun Owners Credited With Defeat of Gun Control
Armed Females of America ^ | 22 November 2002 | Captain Dennis Jackson

FOREWARD: "Even if pilots and their crews were trained in firearms safety and use...it is difficult to imagine that their competence could approach that of law enforcement personnel." The Brady Center report to the FAA Feb. 12, 2002

Something happened on November 19, 2002 that you may not be aware of. 40 years of murderous gun control was overturned, largely by the efforts of YOU…the lawful gun owner/activist.
We were all outraged by the events of September 11, 2001 and our forces were mobilized to a point that we were able to convince our national leaders that firearms are an effective tool for self-defense, even for pilots.. With the passage of the Arming Pilots Against Terrorism amendment of the Homeland Security bill this is now an indisputable fact.

Because of YOUR efforts, because you made phone calls, wrote letters, called talk radio shows and sent e-mails and faxes to your elected representatives we learned a great and important lesson. And that is that we can defeat the forces of gun control!
Arming pilots was a long shot from the beginning. We did not have support from the Bush administration, airline managements, the major pilot unions and the national news media. We have learned from this lesson that we can go forward in our activism and accomplish any goal we desire. We can pick our battles now! What do you want, do want CCW holders to have access to commercial airlines? Do you want to see the sunset of the assault weapons ban? How about a repeal of all gun laws back to NFA 1934? It can be done!

Little did I know when I authored the petition to train and arm airline pilots that the issue would take on a life of it’s own. When Jeffrey Bennett of www.federalobserver.com approached me on this I was skeptical. He was right…thanks Jeff.
Over the past year our effort has attracted many proponents. The most notable of which was Senator Bob Smith of NH. Without his leadership in the Senate we wouldn’t be celebrating this day. But this day is YOURS, yours and the leadership in the gun rights community. You should all be proud and energized by your accomplishment.

Airline pilots only number about 100,000. This is hardly a formidable force for such a change in our attitudes and laws regarding firearms. However, the 83,000,000 gun owners were the force multiplier that brought irrational gun control to its knees.

Airline Pilots' Security Alliance was born out of the ashes of 9/11 and their singular focus rallied many previous detractors to the issue. The APSA organization provided the guidance and direction and the highly organized grassroots gun rights community carried the water for us. YOU have the undying gratitude and respect from every airline pilot in America for your support.

For those of you who care to let the Brady Center know just how disgusted you are with their generalization go here...

http://www.bradycenter.org/

FOREWARD: "Even if pilots and their crews were trained in firearms safety and use...it is difficult to imagine that their competence could approach that of law enforcement personnel." The Brady Center report to the FAA Feb. 12, 2002

Yeah right, If I can fly a multi million dollar A/C I can for sure be trained to shoot better than a law officer, at least as good! Especially the ones I've seen(excluding all specialized law enforcement).

i heard someone on tv arguing against arming pilot's because they might accidentally discharge a gun in the cockpit.

that's ridiculous.

it's just as likely a pilot will accidentally drop the gear in cruise or do a barrel roll.

I wonder if my competence could approach that of Law Enforcement since I am prior law enforcement. Or the prior military guys, I wonder if they know how to safely work a gun????The Brady Center is and always has been a joke. A kid got stabbed last week in my old high school. I wonder when they will try to start banning knives, or maybe I will have to get a permit to own a knife....oh wait, the kid didnt die from a gun so it wasnt as bad. If you dont like it, go ride greyhound. You will wish you had a gun then.

Ok, so lets see if I got this straight. Every year I see a 10 minute video and I’m qualified by the government (FAA) to handle a bomb, even though I’ve never seen one in real life. But after receiving firearms training from a professional, and having fired guns all my adult life, I won’t be competent enough to handle a weapon in the cockpit?
About this accidental discharge, can someone please tell me the last aircraft we lost due to this? Between the military, the police and LEOs flying in civilian aircraft, 1000’s of hours every day go by without incident. How about some facts instead of fiction.
All I’m asking for is one, just one incident where an accidental discharge brought an aircraft down.

A semi-automatic shotgun accidentally discharged “3-4 times”? That reminds me of those crime shows where the husband is standing over his dead wife’s body with 2 shots to the head claiming it was a suicide.

EOpilot's link shows an accidental discharge, but it's not quite the same as the concerns voiced here. That discharge was by a passenger, not a commercial pilot. In addition this was most likely bad aim where he accidentally shot the wing instead of at the ground. He was trying to fire the weapon, most armed pilots will never "skin that hogleg" or release the safety. I don't see it as a valid argument against arming pilots.

I respect law enforcement officers. That said, when I go to the shooting range, I can always tell the cops because they are the poorest shots.

I'm sure I am not on par with the FBI Hostage Rescue Team, but neither are 99.999% of law enforcement officers. The Brady Center statement is ridiculous.

I think law enforcement officers are not of the brightest members of oour population. They aren't very educated on gun handling to start with. Most officers can't process multiple task at the same time, and most totally lack in personal communications skills. I believe people become cops so that they can wear the uniform and abuse the powerf. He was shoot with a .22, and they didn't ban that????? It was just an exuse. Thank god for the NRA, and rednecks and hillbillies everywhere. OK I think I am done venting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back