• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots making "Inappropriate" Safety Complaints

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yea I kinda agree with SSDD. I want to know what they are talking about. Doesn't mean I agree with it, just provide a defense.

"What changed in your training that could lead you to put the gear down?" is a ligitamate question. Really?? That's your defense?? My statement stands.

Actually I was like minded with the poster. I don't doubt the union has a valid concern, it's just tough to figure out from behind the keyboard, and not working at United. You actually did answer the question, the union's position does make sense a little more now. I know the answer is perfectly simple from your viewpoint, but understand we aren't in any position to understand the complaint, thanks for taking the time to illustrate even if it was a backhanded slap at the poster.

You're a moron. How about the company moving entire checklists in the FM. How about zero sims to cover the new training. How about "agree that you are now qualified" (ie have taken the test that walks you through the answers) or you will be put on a non paid status. Just to name a few.

You can probably thank Jetblue for this one. We are made aware of changes to briefs and procedures via email. Once you have read them you are now responsible. No sims.

Believe me, B6 isn't the only Company who "trains by memo."

Not too long ago, on this message board or another one, someone posted a list of the changes. There were many changes, and I think they were substantially different than "current ops." I think United pilots have a legitimate gripe. I am not at all affiliated with UAL or CAL, but have many years in 121 ops. Just my opinion.

Believe me, B6 isn't the only Company who "trains by memo."

That is the truth.

The problem is when you have been performing the same procedures for twenty + years it so ingrained that when it is mixed up the new procedures feel awkward and it does affect how you feel about your performance.

Our jobs safety is somewhat dependent on rote memorization. And that is some serious cheese movement when they change those same procedures.

At good ol SWA there have been a few major changes since I have been here. Although frustrating to re-adapt I can not say it affected safety.

Interesting Delta did the same thing not long ago but didn't here about any safety concerns. But they did have a somewhat successful seniority integration. I am fully expecting SWA to have another big change when we integrate the Airtran operations.

Just on the CAL side, one checklist has completely been taken away and the other replaced. One of them is not really a safety issue but an embarrassment one if you don't do it. The other has been replaced however but major items (IMHO) have been eliminated and thus has the potential to have catastrophic consequences if certain items left to flow and memory are now forgotten. Couple that with the fact that about 50% of guys forget the new stuff (checklist and callouts) when they are the PM and now it's almost a single-pilot operation.

Latest resources

Back