• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Daddy69

Pilot False Safety Concerns During Merger
United’s Smisek Says Pilot Union Leaders ’Crossing a Line’
By Mary Jane Credeur
November 17, 2011 2:01 PM EST

United Continental Holdings Inc. (UAL) Chief Executive Officer Jeff Smisek criticized a pilots union for making “inappropriate” safety complaints on changes to flying procedures while negotiating a new contract.
Pilots from United Airlines and Continental Airlines are still in separate union chapters after a merger that formed the world’s biggest airline, and United pilots sued to block new flying procedures.
“Unfortunately, they are crossing a line that is shameful and inappropriate between safety and industrial relations,” Smisek said today at the Wings Club in New York.
More than 100,000 flights have occurred since the new procedures took effect, and the changes were approved by the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration as part of the merger integration plan, showing that safety isn’t in question, he said.
“If there are ever any legitimate safety concerns, I assure you we will be responsive,” he said. “We have examined all these issues very closely.”
To contact the reporter on this story: Mary Jane Credeur in Atlanta at [email protected]
To contact the editor responsible for this story: James Langford at [email protected]

There is no substitute for safety. When in doubt, check it out... then write it up.

I read something about this on USA Today. For UA pilots: What changed in your training that could lead you to forget to put the gear down?

Okay... Any real info on what these safety concerns are?

I read something about this on USA Today. For UA pilots: What changed in your training that could lead you to forget to put the gear down?

You're a moron. How about the company moving entire checklists in the FM. How about zero sims to cover the new training. How about "agree that you are now qualified" (ie have taken the test that walks you through the answers) or you will be put on a non paid status. Just to name a few.

I imagine it could take a LONG time in the jet to make sure all the new procedures and checklists are adhered to. Just after pushback would be the time to ensure these important required procedures are accomplished in accordance with Company directives.

Eaglesview. You're an ass! That was a legitimate question. I read a paragraph in the paper and I wanted to know what they were talking about! Chill out man!

Eaglesview. You're an ass! That was a legitimate question. I read a paragraph in the paper and I wanted to know what they were talking about! Chill out man!

"What changed in your training that could lead you to put the gear down?" is a ligitamate question. Really?? That's your defense?? My statement stands.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back