Pilots high Death rate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RichardRambone

Probably not new news but I saw this on CNN.com.

The 10 most dangerous jobs by fatality rate are:

.headerTHIS { font: bold 12px Verdana; border-bottom: 1px solid #999999; background-color: #EFEFEF;}.cellTHIS1 { font: normal 11px Verdana; border-bottom: 1px solid #999999;}.cellTHIS1r { font: bold 11px Verdana; border-bottom: 1px solid #999999; text-align: right;}.cellTHIS2 { font: bold 11px Verdana; border-bottom: 1px solid #999999; color:#FFFFFF;}.cellTHIS3 { font: normal 11px Verdana; border-bottom: 1px solid #999999; text-align: right;}.barTHIS { background-color:#003366; padding-top:2px; padding-bottom:2px; padding-left:5px;}RankOccupationDeath rate/100,000Total deaths1Logging workers92.4
852Aircraft pilots92.4
1093Fishers and fishing workers86.4
384Structural iron and steel workers47.0
315Refuse and recyclable material collectors43.2
356Farmers and ranchers37.5
3077Roofers34.9
948Electrical power line installers/repairers30.0
369Driver/sales workers and truck drivers27.6
90510Taxi drivers and chauffeurs24.2

Well that didnt turn out right but logging workers are first with 92.4 deaths/100,000 workers and pilots are second with 92.4 deaths/100,000 workers. Same rate but for some reason pilots are second. Fly safe out there.

Those stats aren't quite correct, if you ask me.

Flying an airplane isn't necessarily an "occupation". They included every certificated pilot (from recreational to ATP) in those stats.

or so i think - opinions?

I'll bet they grouped all licensed pilots together. The pilots who don't fly for a living would increase the percentage.

Amazing statistics, in part because I thought these came from the government records having to do with Worker's Compensation claims. However, most small 135 operators fall outside of the rules which mandate Worker's Comp. coverage.

Flying is hazardous. Lack of sleep, lousy diet, stress and exposure to many cancer causing factors. At the same time, it sure is fun - isn't it?

I've noticed a lot of my father's friends haven't lasted very long after retirement, hopefully the next generation of guys will take better care of themselves.

hmmm....makes me think twice about that helicopter logging job....hmmm...ok, there, I thought twice about it...now I can go.

Flying is hazardous. Lack of sleep, lousy diet, stress and exposure to many cancer causing factors. At the same time, it sure is fun - isn't it?

I've noticed a lot of my father's friends haven't lasted very long after retirement, hopefully the next generation of guys will take better care of themselves.

I've got a great idea! Why don't we increase the mandatory retirement age to 65-70 so we just die at work instead of enjoying life after layovers.

Latest resources

Back