"Pilots get 10 times more air than passengers"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

yasir1212

I hope everyone emails this idiot "expert" and let her hear it!! Here's a link to email her...

http://www.flyana.com/form.html

---------------------------------------------------

"Pilots get 10 times more air than passengers." -Fairechild

[SIZE=-1]Airline pilots get [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ten times[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] more oxygen than passengers get.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Insufficient oxygen can cause many symptoms including impaired visual acuity.

Of course we all want our pilots to see as well as they possibly can -- especially for landings. (As a matter of fact, some airlines require their pilots to inhale oxygen prior to landing so that they are as alert as possible for this crucial phase of the flight.)
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]If the air quality on your flight is bad, request your flight attendant to ask the pilot to provide passengers with the same air quality he's breathing in the cockpit.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Speak to your flight attendant about the air quality if:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]-You are having difficulty concentrating on tasks such as reading or business work.
[/SIZE]
-[SIZE=-1]Your lungs ache.
[/SIZE]
-[SIZE=-1]Your skin feels clammy.
[/SIZE]
-[SIZE=-1]You feel nauseated (and there's no turbulence).
[/SIZE]
-[SIZE=-1]You have a headache.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
ASK FOR BETTER AIR
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Gently, kindly, ask your flight attendant (remember s/he is breathing the same air you are):[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]"When you have time, please ask the [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]pilot[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] for less recirculated air and more fresh air because I'm having trouble breathing."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Wait 15 minutes. You'll know if an air pack has been activated:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]-You'll find it easier to breathe.
[/SIZE]
-[SIZE=-1]You'll hear a louder whoosh from the plane's air-conditioning system.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
OXYGEN BOTTLE
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]You may want to ask for an oxygen bottle. There are about 25 portable bottles on every 747. Sipping from a portable oxygen bottle en route helps me to feel markedly better both en route and after landings.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
SARS, TB
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]The latest information about transmission of tuberculosis on jets says that only those passengers seated "near" the contagious individual are at risk![/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Hmm, it seems to me it also depends upon where the contagious passenger is seated in relation to the aircraft's air vents and outflow vents, the amount of air being pumped into the cabin, the duration of the flight, the departure location which determines humidity in the cabin for the first few hours, the passenger load, the number of times the contagious individual coughs, if s/he coughs on the way to the lavatory, if you're the next one in that lavatory....[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]What would you do if someone next to you or behind you, God forbid, has a hacking cough?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]I'd find another seat. If I couldn't find another seat, I'd speak (politely) to the flight attendant:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]"The passenger behind me is coughing so much I'm wondering if he has TB, and concerned that he's probably contagious. Any chance you could help me to change seats, or may I stand up by the door for awhile, please?"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By the way, I've been contacted by several international flight attendants who have TB. They obviously didn't have it when they were hired, or they would not have been hired by the airlines.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
FLY DEFENSIVELY
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]• While on board, cover your nose and mouth with a water-saturated cotton handkerchief. This will help block the spread of germs, while also providing humidity for your lungs.

• Carry a disposable, surgical mask in your bag in case someone on board is coughing a lot. Present this individual with the mask, perhaps saying something like you understand they would probably want to wear one of these in order to help cut down on the transmission of their disease.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Even using all the fresh air available on board isn't going to eliminate the TB or SARS threat on commercial jets — but it will help to cut down on the transmission of contagious diseases in airplanes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Meanwhile, the airlines are now penalizing passengers who don't want to fly when they have a contagious diseases by [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]cancelling their tickets[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] only with a penalty surcharge.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Stay tuned.[/SIZE]

uhhhh...

why is she an idiot again??!!

You don't like taking care of a passenger of yours who is encountering respiratory difficulties?

She only offers suggestions to those who may be suffering.

What disservice does she do to pilots?

uhhhh...

why is she an idiot again??!!

You don't like taking care of a passenger of yours who is encountering respiratory difficulties?

She only offers suggestions to those who may be suffering.

What disservice does she do to pilots?

Except what she wrote is mostly bullS@#T

Airline pilots get [SIZE=-1]ten times[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] more oxygen than passengers get.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Insufficient oxygen can cause many symptoms including impaired visual acuity.[/SIZE]

The Homewrecker or Triple Lindy with extra beans from Moe's on Concourse C, while locked behind a bullet proof door is enough to cause more than impaired vision.

I guess this lady hasn't flown on a CRJ-200 with a deferred APU on the ground or a descent at idle power. Honey, nobody's getting air.

Last edited:

I guess this lady hasn't flown on a CRJ-200 with a deferred APU on the ground or a descent at idle power. Honey, nobody's getting air.

Heh. My thoughts exactly.

Just when you thought the flying public couldn't get any stupider .. . .

Does anyone seriously think that the OXYGEN ratio has ANY measurable difference between the cockpit and the back seat in a small pressurized vessel like an airplane? Not air, but OXYGEN, which is what she references.

It's been pretty conclusively demonstrated that the HEPA filters do a great job filtering out bad stuff, and the recirc fans just shove it through those same filters again. (assuming your airline changes those filters on schedule, of course)

Chirst, I could go on and on.

Which airlines require their pilots to inhale oxygen prior to landing? Maybe she is thinking of the air force...

Did anybody go to her website? She claims to be a former chief purser for Pan Am. How can she write this crap when she's been a crewmember herself? Is this one of those "pilot tricks the flight attendant" pranks gone awfully awry?

Latest resources

Back