• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots: Corporate and Airline

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well i fly for a small corporate outfit. Nothing special. Anyways, they hate when I wear ties and all that crap so I dont unless we have a big customer on board.

As for personality. 90% of the people I travel with always take me to dinner and the bars later and we have a good time. They wouldn't hire any tight @$$'s with no personality. We constinently joke around and never really take anything serious. As for when I'm flying. Its pretty typical crap. Make sure everyone knows how to get out, operate seatbelts etc.... I let them drink as long as they dont grab a headset!!! I sometimes goto the meetings with them and basically its a fun enviornment.
Like its been said a billion times before. I have never flown 121 but i can definatly believe there is a larger amount of interaction with passangers, especially due to the fact its usually the same people time and time again.

My 2 cents:

I think that the culture of the operation has the most to do with things like safety and style.

If you went to a regional that had a cowboy culture, you may drift somewhat that way, if you have any of it in you.

If you go to a regional with a real by-the-book style, over time you will probably slide that way.

Same with corporate flight departments. Some are very by-the-book and safety oriented. Some are an accident watining to happen.

If you are a one or two-crew department without formal structure, then individual personalities will probably determine the culture.

Airline flying has a better safety record due primarily to the culture, procedures, and checking standards. Not because they have 'better' pilots.

You will eventually become like those you keep company with.

PacoPollo said:
Airlines= Fly for Free(or deep discounts) worldwide..
Corporate= you dont get neither.

I don't think so, Tim

NetJets=Free Coach or First class tickets via frequent flyer status (Space POSITIVE)
=Free hotel accommodations via hotel point programs.

Airline=Jumpseat or non-rev space AVAILABLE
=Hotel....out of pocket.

I'll not even compare crew food vs. terminal food.

I think it boils down more to a personal prefrence. There are advantages and disadvanteges to both.

Generally, airlines are set schedules, anywhere from a month or more in advance. Corporate can be on call all the time, or some of them have schedules.

Depending on the airline, you could fly a variety of aircraft, all over the world. Most corporate flight departments only have one or two aircraft types, and may not leave CONUS.

Airlines, you can fly for free or at a reduced rate (for personnal travel), and yes it is space available. (With my airline, I went to Hawaii for $80 first class!) If your corporate, you buy your own ticket, but your going to get there when you want.

The people you fly with at the airlines can go either way. You get some that are real cowboys, some that are very by the book, and the majority are in between. From my friends in corporate, it goes the same way.

As for going out, ordinarily the whole crew gets together for dinner or lunch or something on the trips. But, everybody is different and does their own thing.

I've never worked corporate, but I've thought about it. I enjoy the airlines because I get to fly with a lot of different people, and go all over the country (and the world).

It all boils down to a personal choice of what you want to do and who will hire you.

EagleATR

Corporate - Fractional - Charter
In my opinion, of course, is the best
Ask anyone in a frax - thay haven't paid for a vacation since thay started.
Marriott points(I have over 400,000) - Airline miles and the such
I have enough airline miles to go to Austraila,
I eat good food, go to and stay in cool places

I am extremely fortunate to be able to fly the type of operations that I do and go the places I go. (every island - from Freeport down to South America and Central America too)

One of the most important things for me to feel fullfilled at my job is to be able to provide exceptional customer service and have fun doing it.
That is why I fly.
And that is why I choose to fly charter/corporate.

Cappy

Plus how often do airline pilots get to fly an empty A/C
(cool factor)

I've had the advantage of being able to do both. I started as a corporate pilot post-flight instructing, went to a regional for 5 months (2-1/2 months online before being unceremoniously furloughed), and am now back with the corporate outfit debating whether or not I'm going to take recall with the airline when/if it is offered.

I'd have to say that overall the fringe benefits associated with corporate aviation are far superior to airline benefits, the exception being travel benefits. I have a generous meal allowance with the corporate outfit (purchase meals with company American Express), have a company paid rental car on all overnights, and have time on trips to get out and see the local sights. I average 14 days off a month, but unfortunately have no set schedule (on call 24/7, but typically know trip details at least a day or two in advance). The pay is superior to probationary first year pay at the airline, but airline pay would have been about the same or slightly more had I made it to the second year with the (who knows now that my airline will probably be forced to accept a concessionary TA). I am able to request days off with the corporate job, but run the risk of missing trips if I do (I'm paid by the day). The passenger contact is much better in the corporate world, and is a necessary function of a corporate pilot. You have to be a "personable" person in order to do well as a corporate pilot.

I guess overall it comes down to personal preference. I have to say that I'm more an "airline person" because I like the structure, the set schedule, travel benefits, flying with a variety of people, etc. but it's no longer a black and white distinction for me. My time at the airline definitely was an eye opener for me and showed me that the grass is not necessarily greener over there. Anyway, hope that answers your questions.

PacoPollo said:
Airlines= Fly for Free(or deep discounts) worldwide..
Corporate= you dont get neither.

Thats strange, I haven't paid for a vacation in over 6 years... but yet have taken a vacation every year... airfare, hotel and rental car all free...

I have never worked for an airline...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back