• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots are dumb

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But when some places you want to work for require it, then it does.

As far as the career is concerned, you can also fly an airplane with the following but I wouldn't recommend doing it:

-Facial tattoo
-facial piercings
-2 DUI's
-a manslaughter conviction
-being a member of the Crips in good standing
-refusal to wear a neck tie.

-refusal to wear a hat. ;)

There's a reason I reference PilotYip in my signature: from another of his illustrious prior posts:

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?p=1827514&highlight=dropout#post1827514

Anyone with a minimum level of skill and desire can fly an airplane, high school drops out do just fine. Success is this career is based much more upon luck and timing that it is on skill and desire. Having worked 11 different jobs since leaving the Navy, 4 of them non-flying, full time flying is the easiest job I have ever had. This is not flame bait.

-refusal to wear a hat. ;)

I wouldn't, and that is why I ended up at Allegiant which doesn't have them

It is horrible to think about how many people took on the debts of 20,30, 50, and even 100K and didn't even get a flying job. Many made it as far as CFI but really never had a good instrument scan or the ability to put it all together. They don't get a refund either. The job just isn't for everyone and it is sad to think that people are making as far down the pipe as they do with nothing to show for it.

There's a reason I reference PilotYip in my signature: from another of his illustrious prior posts:

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?p=1827514&highlight=dropout#post1827514

Anyone with a minimum level of skill and desire can fly an airplane, high school drops out do just fine. Success is this career is based much more upon luck and timing that it is on skill and desire. Having worked 11 different jobs since leaving the Navy, 4 of them non-flying, full time flying is the easiest job I have ever had. This is not flame bait.

Is it fair to say that a high percentage of the time the dude that says this is the one that:

-never does the read and sign memos on time.
-the one the training department makes all those complacency training material for.
-the one that has an over worked captain or first officer.
-the one that attempts to mentor the other pilot while screwing up the stuff that is his job.

I think if you do the job right you should be pretty tired after even just one leg.

Thank you

It doesn't. I encourage people to get one though. In fact, I was hired at all my flying jobs with only an Associate Degree. When I flew corporate, it even helped me get a job because the flight department chief pilot was "old school" and didn't have a degree. He liked that no one below him had more qualifications than he did. That was a rarity but it was kinda humorous. I finally did finish my BS this last summer. It took me nine years but I did it. I they call people doctors that take that long to finish their college. :) Just for info, my flight school/college went like this:

Private Cert. - 1999
Community College - 1999-2002
Instrument - 2001
Commercial - 2002
Multi - 2002
CFII/MEI - 2003
ATP - 2007
Bachelors Degree - 2006-2009

I would suggest going to a very good community college then transfer to a 4 year school. I have only 12000 college debt and no flight school debt. It can be done, it's heartbreaking and tough but eventually it'll happen. I just can't believe people go into so much debt. My mother always used to say, "where there's a will, there's a way..."
You seem to understand, there many ways to skin a cat, going to straight to college right out of high school is only one of them. BTW GED guy flying for a major it can be done.

lol? Wow, you must really be some bored really high school kid looking for his jollies. That's some great FA text skills you got there sparky. In case you actually are a professional pilot with 11000 hours and a 737 rating, I'd be amazed without drugs if you "lol" when some other tool goes to the likes of ATP and undercuts your job toting a guppy killer sticker flying for an airline like Republic at $30 an hour. If I'm a 3 watt light bulb, then you're the flashing led light on those fluffy flashing crew luggage wheels.
<shrugs> :rolleyes: Beats the hell out of me where you came up with all of that nonsense. All I said was that I would be pissed, too, if I had spent nearly 100K on my ratings like you and the OP did, only to find out later that I could have done it for half that much.

But when some places you want to work for require it, then it does.

As far as the career is concerned, you can also fly an airplane with the following but I wouldn't recommend doing it:

-Facial tattoo
-facial piercings
-2 DUI's
-a manslaughter conviction
-being a member of the Crips in good standing
-refusal to wear a neck tie.

Damn dude! Are these pilots at Allegiant?

Also, I think you have Pilotyip figured wrong.

like this:

Private Cert. - 1999
Community College - 1999-2002
Instrument - 2001
Commercial - 2002
Multi - 2002
CFII/MEI - 2003
ATP - 2007
Bachelors Degree - 2006-2009

I would suggest going to a very good community college then transfer to a 4 year school. I have only 12000 college debt and no flight school debt. It can be done, it's heartbreaking and tough but eventually it'll happen. I just can't believe people go into so much debt. My mother always used to say, "where there's a will, there's a way..."

that's very good- the answer is in the balance.
CC is a no brainer if $$'s a huge issue over "the college experience"- I did it and completed almost all of my GE credits at about $1000/ semester incl books.
I do question 4 years to get to an MEI- I've seen a LOT of students eventually get worn down and quit due to lack of progression bc they take too long between flights trying to pay for them- You are learning a proficiency- a person flying 3-5 times per week will progress faster and spend MUCH less $$ than someone flying once a week. factor in seniority and time value of money and a reasonable debt is OFTEN the smartest way to approach it.

I also recommend going to a regular college with an aviation program- social skills are a plus in this career -

that's very good- the answer is in the balance.
CC is a no brainer if $$'s a huge issue over "the college experience"- I did it and completed almost all of my GE credits at about $1000/ semester incl books.
I do question 4 years to get to an MEI- I've seen a LOT of students eventually get worn down and quit due to lack of progression bc they take too long between flights trying to pay for them- You are learning a proficiency- a person flying 3-5 times per week will progress faster and spend MUCH less $$ than someone flying once a week. factor in seniority and time value of money and a reasonable debt is OFTEN the smartest way to approach it.

I also recommend going to a regular college with an aviation program- social skills are a plus in this career -

Sure, I believe a lot of what you say is good to consider. Some people do get discouraged or figure out they don't like it. They quit if it takes too long. Everybody has a way that will work best for them. I just threw my path up there to maybe give someone an idea of another way they can accomplish their dream. As far as seniority goes, I don't know if gaining a few years seniority over 100000 in debt is the way to go, but maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps one of the statisticians on this board can work out the problem so we can see if it really is worth it. My reserve has ended and I'm going to go drink with my wife.

<shrugs> :rolleyes: Beats the hell out of me where you came up with all of that nonsense. All I said was that I would be pissed, too, if I had spent nearly 100K on my ratings like you and the OP did, only to find out later that I could have done it for half that much.

I bet 35K you're wrong. Doesn't really matter ; what matters is if you keep that attitude, karma and some event or someone in real life will "lol", unpleasantly adjust your low life cockiness.

Latest resources

Back