• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots and obomacare

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not really trying to get too political either, which is why I refer to the "ACA" and not "Obamacare."

I was merely responding to the original poster's fears of being thrown in to the "awful exchange." (His words.)

I'm giving you my situation of if I had to use the state exchange. The cost calculator estimated 885 per month, which shocked me. I have not shopped for private insurance, but you can be certain that I would be looking at all options if it came to that. I am just showing MY EXAMPLE of what it would look like if I HAD to use the exchange, which is what the OP was concerned about.

Yes, I would say that we have excellent coverage right now, but it has gone up a lot in the past three years, and we have also changed plans about 3 times during that period. We were on my wife's Blue Cross, and then they dropped them because they were becoming too expensive. We then went to Health Partners, and then that was dropped for a different Heath Partners HRA plan. Anyway you look at it, the insurance is more expensive than it was 3 years ago. I'm quite certain that part of that is due to the ACA. We received letters from the school district and teacher's union explaining that the changes and cost increase was at least in part due to the mandates of the ACA.

Her district is also dropping all non-union part timers (para-professionals etc.) and having them use the exchange, because it is cheaper for the district of course.

I have had private insurance in the past. This was around 2006, before I was married, and was furloughed from airline work. I was able to get a basic plan from Blue Cross for about $85 per month. It didn't cover a lot of minor stuff, but that is fine. I had enough sense not to go to the doctor if I had a cold. If I had a major injury, illness or disease, the plan would have covered what I needed. Unfortunately those type of plans are no longer available, but it was perfect for me at the time.

I believe that a big part of the solution to the health care problems in this country is to really push HSAs. Young, healthy people could save up money, or buy cheap plans like my old Blue Cross one, and as you age and need more medical care, you could use those dollars to buy the services you need, or use it for more comprehensive coverage. If you are lucky and get old without needing a lot of expensive insurance or healthcare, those dollars would be available to you for retirement expenses etc.

Anyway, I think that's enough about that. Currently both my wife and I have insurance available as required by our employment contracts. It is highly unlikely that both employers would find a way to drop us. I just wanted to find out for myself what I would be dealing with if I had to go through the state exchange. Find out for yourself at http://www.mnsure.org.

Do you actually have to make "what is essentially another mortgage payment," or are you just writing hypothetically? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that your airline provides you with health insurance and your spouse's school district offers her health insurance. If you're lucky, you can choose the better of the two or own double coverage.

I'm trying to figure out what your post adds to this conversation.

It is a dissmisable offense at Alaska Airlines to allow your spouse to be covered if he/she could be covered at their place of empoment.

It is a dissmisable offense at Alaska Airlines to allow your spouse to be covered if he/she could be covered at their place of empoment.

Another display of how miserly this company is.

I wonder how prolific that policy is in this industry as well as others.

Does Uncle Stan live in SFO too? I knew it!

Bye Bye---General Lee
Its OK genny, your moms coverage will still include you and your necessary styrofoam hats. I do find it slightly interesting that you are obsessed, with aviation, since the psych meds preclude you from ever holding a medical.
But keep on keeping on, being the omnipresent d-bag on the aviation message boards is the constant in the universe, your version of the Unified Theory of Doochbaggery.

Latest resources

Back