Pilot Watches

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
stick717 said:
Man- I just realized someone forgot to sign out of the hotel computer. I could really hasve fun with this. SHould I leave it? Should I flame away? What do you guys think? This could be pretty funny.

To flame on behalf of the haples soul who neglected to logout is your civic duty. I, for one, leave the public terminals fully aware of the consequences. Some bible thumping, NRA card carrying, good ole boy has a constitutional right to post vile conservative drivel using my liberal namesake. I expect nothing less and fully respect the process.

May I suggest the Majors board? Its dwellers are the most sensitive of this group and prone to violent outburst when it comes to their respective place of employment.

Watches? Fifty dollar Casio, in matte plastic black, with a backlight.

I'm a Citizen guy-- Good watches and they wont cause your wallet to explode like -Tag, Omega, Rolex.....

Look for them on ebay--- you can normally find a pretty good deal.

WTF can some of these pilot watches come with a farking backlight.

Is it that hard to put one in it!

Geez

Wankel

I plan on being buried wearing the orange face Seiko Divers watch I bought in 1980...as I wouldn't want to be called "late".

Get it...LATE? Awe...never mind...I'll call you BACK in an hour, Back!

Alright, if you are predisposed to buy a geniune fake, realize that there are substantial differences among manufacturers.

You can spend 50 bucks for a real cheapie, with a 2 dollar quartz movement, but when the bimbo snuggles up real close, she's going to see the 1 second tick-tick, and now you're busted.

Good fakes have an automatic movement (powered by motion while wearing), that will have a sweep second hand, just like the real mcCoy. Some are virtually indistinguishable from their genuine counterparts. Expect to spend a few hundred for this variety.

My personal choice (not that anyone but me gives a damm), is a swiss made Rado. Pretty to look at, and phenomenally durable.

Go to Ebay's website and buy one from a reputable seller, and you will save some serious money. Remember though, Bling-bling is for wannabe's, not real pilot players : )

Here's an idea for those who are willing to spend $250 on a fake Rolex...

How about getting a genuine Swiss watch, with a mechanical movement from ETA or Valjoux, for about the same price? I think buying a fake is retarded, because even if you fool everyone else (unlikely), YOU still know you're wearing a fake. Try this place:

www.westcoastime.com

They sell a large collection of military-inspired watches, chronographs, and dive watches, and they're very, very nice. The fit and finish are good enough for them to pass for much more expensive, some parrot the designs of better known watches, but aren't direct copies and don't have the brand name on them that would make them sell for more $$$. Primarily they're marketed as Ollech & Wajs (the latter pronounced like "vice"), an old brand that was defunct but was resurrected for these purposes.

I bought one as a daily-wearer to keep from banging up my Omega and TAG watches, and I've never been disappointed. $300 (plus or minus a hundred for most models) may seem like a lot to spend on something without bragging rights, but I like it for what it is... A solid, dependable and attractive MECHANICAL watch (sorry, I know quartz is "more accurate", but I think wind-ups are cool) with the same movement that's in my Omega except for the chronometer certificate, but cost 1/4 as much. It runs about 3secs fast/day, but I usually rotate out of it before it makes any difference and have to wind it again after it's sat for two days without use, at which point I just set it again.

I recommend them highly. Check 'em out if you're in the market for a watch and you're thinking of something that's an out-and-out ripoff of one of those big Swiss brands.

Last edited:
Low-cost, good quality NON-FAKE watches

I.P. Freley said:
How about getting a genuine Swiss watch, with a mechanical movement from ETA or Valjoux, for about the same price? I think buying a fake is retarded, because even if you fool everyone else (unlikely), YOU still know you're wearing a fake.
Of course it's retarded, and tacky - not to mention that warranties for fakes might be, at best, questionable.
I bought [an Ollech & Wajs] as a daily-wearer to keep from banging up my Omega and TAG watches, and I've never been disappointed. $300 (plus or minus a hundred for most models) may seem like a lot to spend on something without bragging rights, but I like it for what it is... A solid, dependable and attractive MECHANICAL watch (sorry, I know quartz is "more accurate", but I think wind-ups are cool) with the same movement that's in my Omega except for the chronometer certificate, but cost 1/4 as much. It runs about 3secs fast/day, but I usually rotate out of it before it makes any difference and have to wind it again after it's sat for two days without use, at which point I just set it again.
That is really good performance from a 2824 movement.

Very good suggestion and advice from Mr. Freley.

And, I second his comments on mechanical watches, but for a different reason. Batteries and/or quartz movements can give out unexpectedly. It happened with a TAG-Heuer I had. The watch is now useless - unless I want to spend $250-up for a new movement. You don't have these worries with even a low-end mechanical watch. There are plenty of excellent automatic watches available, such as the ones I.P. recommended, for a fair price. You just have to wear an automatic watch and reset it from time to time. A handwind is fine, too, as long as you remember to wind it. Do it every morning and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
For those who would consider a Fossil...

I have a true story for you. I broke the pin that holds the band to the watch. You can not get a replacement pin. You have to send it to their Texas repair facility for an overhaul which cost me $27.00 for a new pin. Well the wounderful OEM part lasted about 6 months. This time I spend 30 minutes begging on the phone. No go. Even with my A&P rating I am not qualified to replace their piece of !#%& pin. I saved the $27.00 and threw the watch in the garbage. They look great and keep time fine but I can't stand a watch that will not stay on your arm.

KlingonLRDRVR

bobbysamd said:
That is really good performance from a 2824 movement.

I am pleasantly surprised by the accuracy. When I first bought it it ran about 6 secs fast per day, but it's settled down now to the point that it could technically be called a "chronometer". That 2482-2 movement is quite good, I must say! The certified movement in my Speedmaster is accurate to about 5 secs per WEEK... but the "other one" is quite accurate enough for my purposes, since I don't plan on using my watch to time a space launch or a chemical reaction. ;)

I.P. I have always been interested in collecting authentic watches, ever since my grampa handed down to me his Omega given to him by one of 'the seven'.

However, thanks for the great web site, I may grab something from them for my 'daily watch'.

good call...

thanks

Latest resources

Back