• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Breitlings are for dorks and wannabes.

Cartier is the original "aviation watch."

Buy a casio.

I don't know why anyone in their right mind would buy an automatic watch. Quartz are much more accurate, much cheaper and practically no maintenance. Why in the world would anyone spend $400 bucks to get an automatic movement cleaned?

Last edited:
ultrarunner said:
I.P. I have always been interested in collecting authentic watches, ever since my grampa handed down to me his Omega given to him by one of 'the seven'.

However, thanks for the great web site, I may grab something from them for my 'daily watch'.

good call...

thanks

Would that be the Chicago Seven.........?

Any know how much this one would cost?

Omega 300 M Diver Chronometer
Steel on Steel
Dial: Blue
Ref. 2531.80.00

http://www.omegawatches.com/omega/co_watch?ID=1252&line=116&gen=G&sublineID=360

Is this a good movement and would it last me a lifetime? I currently have a Fossil (I'm a commuter pilot) that looks almost like the Omega. I'm just looking for a simple plain watch with a date that goes like 100-300 meters and is tuff.

Last edited:
I think that is the model commonly referred to as the Jamed Bond watch. Also sold with less expensive quartz movement. Automatic model should run between 1500 and 2000 dollars. Go to Ebay and type in the model #, including the decimal, and you will get a bunch of results.

Omega Diver

LearLove said:

Steel on Steel
Dial: Blue
Ref. 2531.80.00

Is this a good movement and would it last me a lifetime? I currently have a Fossil (I'm a commuter pilot) that looks almost like the Omega. I'm just looking for a simple plain watch with a date that goes like 100-300 meters and is tuff.
I believe this is the James Bond watch. If it's good enough for 007, it'll be good enough for you. Seriously, it's a good product with an automatic mechanical movement. I believe the movement is based on an ETA generic movement that Omega has modified and upgraded.

You won't go wrong with this watch. PM me for a dealer recommendation.

LearLove said:

That's the one I have, Lear. :D

Great watch... And the prices have been creeping up as of late, but if you can find out what the current list price is, most authorized dealers will give you 18-20% off of that price. Going any lower is, I believe, frowned upon by the Mother Ship...

Should run around $1500 or so from your local dealer, but if bobby can direct you elsewhere for a bigger discount, hey, that's great!

billybob sblade said:
Breitlings are for dorks and wannabes.

I don't know why anyone in their right mind would buy an automatic watch. Quartz are much more accurate, much cheaper and practically no maintenance. Why in the world would anyone spend $400 bucks to get an automatic movement cleaned?

Ah, yes, the wisdom of the first-time poster. :D

Maybe, just maybe, billybob... Some people like nice things, and maybe, just maybe, they prefer something you don't prefer. What do you care if someone prefers mechanical watches to cookie-cutter quartz watches?

I sure hope you drive the cheapest possible car on the market. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would spend more money than they would on a Daewoo Lanos which are much cheaper than, say, BMW's.... Right? Why spend more money than the bare minimum?

I got the Omega Seamaster Chronometer, good watch, no problems, however, I would go for the Speedmaster, only watch worn on the moon you know.

If it is good enough for NASA it is good enough for that CLE-BFE leg:)

I bought a Rolex GMT in 1986 and still wear it every day. It gives zulu time along with the time in my time zone. Probably the last watch I'll ever buy. As an investment it may be cheaper to buy a new Timex every year or two, but this 19 year old GMT is probably worth 70% of what it cost new in 86.

HEADWIND

Latest resources

Back