Pilot to Dispatcher?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Way2Broke

ATP to Dispatcher...... How hard is the transition? Would you consider it a better QOL? Do you have jumpseat? What is first year pay like? Schedules? Is the pilot to dispatcher switch common? Thanks

Way2Broke said:
ATP to Dispatcher...... How hard is the transition? Would you consider it a better QOL? Do you have jumpseat? What is first year pay like? Schedules? Is the pilot to dispatcher switch common? Thanks

I did the opposite. I dispatched for a large Regional for about a year. Afterward, I resigned, finished my flight ratings and have been flying ever since.

The transition from dispatcher to pilot was easy because I always knew I wanted to fly. The Dispatch experience definetly helped me out early on in my flying career. It goes both ways though. Flight experience would also help you out if you were going for a Dispatcher career.

When I started dispatching, my starting pay was approximately $22k, however this was back in 1999. I worked 4 days on, 3 days off, and worked 10 hour shifts. I was able to jumpseat with most major and regional air carriers and did so quite frequently. Other than private pilots and a few commercial rated pilots, I don't remember there being any people dispatching who used to fly professionally. But, I do remember several people dispatching who were using it as a foot in the door to gain experience and knowledge for a flying career.

I would consider it to be a better quality of life in that you home every night, and know your schedule every month without having to worry about the things most pilots have to deal with.

Hope this helps!

Way2Broke said:

I personally have never seen a commercial pilot become a dispatcher (except for a buddy on furlough, and that was temporary). I have seen plenty of folks do the opposite though.

Honestly, I'm surprised there aren't more pilots becoming dispatchers. The license is relatively inexpensive (and probably pretty easy for an ATP). I think the QOL is a LOT better as a dispatcher.. you're home every night, no shuttles, no uniforms, no medical, no security screening, no spending all day in a tiny, bouncing room with someone you don't have anything in common with, no ready reserve, the seniority list is a lot shorter, furloughs are rare, and most dispatchers work steady schedules. I'd say 4/3, 10 hour shifts is most common..

First year pay isn't hot at a regional, but it gets better with time.. We do have JS priveleges, though you get the occasional "Dispatchers can't jumpseat!" (I even saw a flight attendant try to tell a Captain that...) A lot of dispatchers are going into CASS, which helps.

My instructor for my license was a former JAL 747 pilot, lost his medical due to a heart murmor. Some of the other guys that he worked with at UAL are former line pilots who had lost their medicals.

The only hard part about switching over is that the former pilot would finally have to do some flight planning, cut releases and listen to crews bitch and whine:)

A good family friend of our just went from working Chicago Center to being dispatcher because they were forcing him to retire after 20-25 yrs old working Center and ORD.

Its common, and the starting pay at a regional is about $18k a year. After you get your ticket, you might be able to get a FIC ( Flight info. Cooridnator) position with a major to avoid the regionals.

What are some of the better dispatch schools out there? Any job placement opportunities available once you have completed thge training ?

PHXFLYR

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back