• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Taxes/Per Diem

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Speaking of the perdiem calculation, has the IRS published "Publication 463, Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses" for the 2008 tax year? I'm ready to launch my return once I get it, but I can only find it for the 2007 tax year.

"My understanding is that cabs or transportation from a crashpad to the airport are not deductable. Just like you can't deduct the mileage from home to work if you don't commute."

Are you saying I can deduct milage IF I am a commuter? I drive 150+ miles each way to the nearest large airport. What if that airport is my base? It is in a different state than where I live.

I have gotten different answers for years from "the pros".
Any help would be great.
Take care.
Joe.

"My understanding is that cabs or transportation from a crashpad to the airport are not deductable. Just like you can't deduct the mileage from home to work if you don't commute."

Are you saying I can deduct milage IF I am a commuter? I drive 150+ miles each way to the nearest large airport. What if that airport is my base? It is in a different state than where I live.

I have gotten different answers for years from "the pros".
Any help would be great.
Take care.
Joe.

My understanding is that you cannot deduct costs to drive to work. I'm not aware of a loophole that would allow you to do so if you lived in another state, and I've never heard of a CPA that was writing off mileage for commuting to work.

This guy is a pilot for jetBlue and has a masters in tax. He's been an accountant for a while and reduces my taxable income legitimately more than I could ever dream of doing. 770-884-7565
aircrewtaxes.com

ooops, I just quoted myself. Accountants who have won in tax court are money well spent.

This guy is a pilot for jetBlue and has a masters in tax. He's been an accountant for a while and reduces my taxable income legitimately more than I could ever dream of doing. 770-884-7565
aircrewtaxes.com

WATCH OUT!!!!

This "Masters in Tax" guy is very shady. I know exactly who he is, and what he is up to. I don't have a "Masters in Tax", but I do know you can't deduct some of the stupid things he comes up with.

I hear he has gotten a bunch of folks around here in trouble, and I can believe it after asking him some specific tax questions I DO know the correct answers to.

-Be Careful-this is the IRS, and as the guy above stated-"It's all good until you get audited"

-You may notice from this guy's website that he doesn't provide any guarantee of accuracy or any type of audit representation.

Here is a question: I am using publication 1542 to get ME&I rates for various cities. If a city is not listed, I use the standard rate ($39). However, if the county that the city is in has a rate, I can use that... correct? For instance Brownsville, TX is not listed, but it is in Cameron county which has a rate (the primary city is South Padre Island). Am I OK to use this rate?

Introduction

This publication is for employers who pay a per diem allowance to employees for business travel away from home within the continental United States (CONUS) (the 48 contiguous states), on or after October 1, 2007, and before January 1, 2010. It gives the maximum per diem rate you can use without treating part of the per diem allowance as wages for tax purposes. For a detailed discussion on the tax treatment of a per diem allowance, see chapter 11 of Publication 535, Business Expenses, or Revenue Procedure 2008-59, 2008-41 I.R.B. You can find the revenue procedure in the weekly Internal Revenue Bulletin (IRB) on the Internet at www.irs.gov/irb.

Don't use this publication for your rates. As the IRS explained to me and stated above this publication is for Employers. In Publication 463 Link for the 2008 year below.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf

Page 6 in 463 states to find per diem rates in www.gsa.gov

Isn't there a service that can go in and pull up your schedule for the past year and come up with a print out for per diem tax purposes? 50 bucks or so?

I've heard of it but not sure what the service is called. Anyone know?

Latest resources

Back