• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

4got2flare

Does anyone do their own taxes?
Who do you use if not?

How have you figured your Per Diem deduction calculation? This year the per diem rate has changed to a large city/small city vs. flat rate per day.

Do you itemize each city or use the per day amount?

Sorry for all the questions, Last year was easy but with the changes this might be more of a challenge.

Happy Landings...

This guy is a pilot for jetBlue and has a masters in tax. He's been an accountant for a while and reduces my taxable income legitimately more than I could ever dream of doing. 770-884-7565
aircrewtaxes.com

You are allowed to deduct 75% the day of travel, 100% full days there, and 75% on the return. For example you have a 3 day to London. Even though the first day you are in the air, and most of third day in the air you are allowed to take a deduction equal to 250% of the M&IE rates found all over the interenet.

Say London's M&IE rate is $200

day 1 $150 (75%)
day 2 $200 (100%)
day 3 $150 (75%)

Your total deductions for the year are limited to 80% as pere the DOT rules.

After you have all your deduction for the year totaled, and 80% factored, subtract what the company paid you iin per diem and that is your write off. If you do international it is a huge write off, domestic, not so much. Most US cities are only worth $53/day. After you take your 80% and what the company pays you, it does not help much.

Hope that helps.

This guy is a pilot for jetBlue and has a masters in tax. He's been an accountant for a while and reduces my taxable income legitimately more than I could ever dream of doing. 770-884-7565
aircrewtaxes.com

Instead of filling out that stupid form you can fill the same crap out with TurboTax and save yourself the ripoff accountant fee.

Instead of filling out that stupid form you can fill the same crap out with TurboTax and save yourself the ripoff accountant fee.

BINGO. That's the answer. Accountants are a major ripoff. TurboTax rules.

I can't wait till they come out with TurboSurgeon!

Does anyone do their own taxes?
Who do you use if not?

How have you figured your Per Diem deduction calculation? This year the per diem rate has changed to a large city/small city vs. flat rate per day.

Do you itemize each city or use the per day amount?

Sorry for all the questions, Last year was easy but with the changes this might be more of a challenge.

Happy Landings...

4got,
AWESOME AVATAR!!!

I do my own taxes w/ turbo tax and used to do my own per diem calculations until last year.

Go with prodiem.com

I did my calculations and compared it with theirs and they beat me by several hundred bucks (and I'm pretty exacting about that stuff). Worth the $50 for both the extra deduction as well as the time spent doing the work.

For the guys/gals that do their own taxes, where do you add the per diem deduction? What section?
Thanks...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back