• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

pilot sentenced for being drunk

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sooooo this is why you get asked this related question during the interview process because it's preparing you for the real world... Got it!!!! Great industry!!!! What about professional standards? Could they have played an effective roll in this situation?

Professional standards is probably not going to help you in this situation. Once he operated that flight, he broke the law. The Captain became aware of this criminal act and did the correct action. A sick call AFTER you break the law is too late.

Both pilots on the NWA flight from Fargo to MSP that started all of this both got back to flying. Captain with NWA and FO with American, so don't say it CAN'T happen.

None of them went to jail.

The Captain was still pissed that he wasn't invited to the party. The FO got BOTH flight attendants (the cute one AND the one with the nice personality)!!;)

It's easy to play Monday-morning quarterback but I was thinking I might like to have handled it a little differently - like helping this wayward FO off the jetbridge for putting me in that @#$%ing spot!!!

The Captain was still pissed that he wasn't invited to the party. The FO got BOTH flight attendants (the cute one AND the one with the nice personality)!!;)
Yeah,
And where he is going he will be the "girl"....

Ask Joe Paterno what happens when you have information that a crime may have been committed and you don't pursue it fully.

Too many people posting that don't know what they are talking about. As for the NW crew, read the book Flying Drunk, it's the FE's autobiography, and a good read. You will see they did spend time in the pokey. I know one guy from that crew, awesome guy, and proves the career is not over.

For those of you questioning the Captain, quit basing your opinion on a news report. When you see any other news report about aviation you jump on them for knowing nothing about our industry, why is this report different?

I was in Denver that day. I was in the concourse. The Captain found me, and one other Captain, pulled us aside and asked our opinion. By the time he found us there was nothing to be said, he had done everything he could. He did his job as a Captain and did his job as a brother of the pilot fraternity. It's easy to say, "tell the guy to call in sick." Read the transcript from the courts, he tried...and put his ass on the line for admitting that he gave the guy a chance.

Fact is the Captain did everything perfect and has been beating himself up ever since. He was put in a crap situation and handled it better than most. For anyone to second guess the Captain is pure crap. The Captain did more than he could to help, but also did what was right.

At the end of the day the truth is the FO screwed up and the Captain did the right thing. I truly feel bad the Captain was put in this position. Hopefully the FO will fix his life, I believe he has hit rock bottom, and I wish nothing but the best for him and his family.

To the FO - I support you in your recovery. Please reference the website previously posted regarding the HIMS program.

To the Capt - You did the right thing, do not feel guilty. You are a great Captain and have many reasons to hold your head high. You were put in a crap situation and handled it perfectly.

I agree with everything that makes sense here. The hardest thing I don't understand is that they give this guy 3 months in the pin but they give a drunk driver one night in jail. That solo driver could have hit a school bus or 50+ people. Whats the the difference? At least in the aircraft there was two pilots... Again I am just saying maybe we should be this harsh to drunk drivers if that is the case.

Latest resources

Back