• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

pilot sentenced for being drunk

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Because he's an obvious DB. Call the guy out if he won't do it for himself....

I wouldn't call the Capt a DB for this. It's not like he call the CP before the flight has even operated. If I read this correctly. The FO has operated the flight. It's a shame that the FO choose to operated the flight anyways. The Capt probably didn't catch it unitl it was too late.

Nice, the FO shows up plastered and everyone is blasting the captain. It is one thing to show up a little under 8 hours from being in the bar after a few drinks and still having a little left in your system. But this guy was blowing a 0.94 AFTER flying a leg, which means he showed up for duty pretty well hammered. The only "obvious DB" in this case is the FO. The captain may have been able to try and protect the FO a little better, but he was under no obligation to. I think it is unreasonable to expect a captain to stick his neck out for someone that far out of line.

Nice, the FO shows up plastered and everyone is blasting the captain. It is one thing to show up a little under 8 hours from being in the bar after a few drinks and still having a little left in your system. But this guy was blowing a 0.94 AFTER flying a leg...

Exactly. Figure he showed up on the curb maybe 45 minutes before the flight, plus a 2-hour flight AUS-DEN, plus another 15 minutes to the testing office. 0.94 three hours after showing up at work? The captain isn't the DB here...

No blame on the captain. The FO needs help.

When your processing alcohol you can justify just about anything, including showing up for work.

What a shame to see someone that has obviously invested many a night and day only to be taken out by one foolish drunkon. If you know someone who is using get them help. Its just not worth it.

http://himsprogram.com/

If you show up for work drunk, you are irresponsible, and deserve what you get. It's not on the Captain.

According to the indictment, facts presented during the trial, and the written opinion of Judge Tunheim, on Dec. 8, 2009, Cope was the co-pilot and first officer on United Express Flight 7687, a commercial flight operated by Shuttle America, Inc., from Austin, Texas to Denver, Colorado.

Co-pilot AND First Officer...this guy was good.

Nice, the FO shows up plastered and everyone is blasting the captain. It is one thing to show up a little under 8 hours from being in the bar after a few drinks and still having a little left in your system. But this guy was blowing a 0.94 AFTER flying a leg, which means he showed up for duty pretty well hammered. The only "obvious DB" in this case is the FO. The captain may have been able to try and protect the FO a little better, but he was under no obligation to. I think it is unreasonable to expect a captain to stick his neck out for someone that far out of line.

WELL PUT! Except for one glaring issue.

The dude flew. He's clearly beyond a talking-to at this point, since he's entered the system as a criminal. If he starts looking for a blame game play, he has a perfect one.

Why didn't my captain ensure the safety of the flight I was operating drunk?

Insert deposition here, add a silly CX here, and BAM.

Certainly the worst case scenario, but then again- how many times can you cite "pilot error" as the found cause when it really honestly wasn't? I realize I'm being cynical, but this could be YOU one of these days staring down such a ridiculous barrel.

The ATA collaborate on all sorts of things, from labor tactics to the MEL (haha). Check your FOM (or whatever you call it) for PIC Authority and Responsibility. My wholly owned realigned that at the exact same time as our mainline, and that doesn't happen without management collaboration.

It's a real eye-opener when you see the implications.

Last edited:
WELL PUT! Except for one glaring issue.

The dude flew. He's clearly beyond a talking-to at this point, since he's entered the system as a criminal. If he starts looking for a blame game play, he has a perfect one.

Why didn't my captain ensure the safety of the flight I was operating drunk?

Insert deposition here, add a silly CX here, and BAM.

Certainly the worst case scenario, but then again- how many times can you cite "pilot error" as the found cause when it really honestly wasn't? I realize I'm being cynical, but this could be YOU one of these days staring down such a ridiculous barrel.

The ATA collaborate on all sorts of things, from labor tactics to the MEL (haha). Check your FOM (or whatever you call it) for PIC Authority and Responsibility. My wholly owned realigned that at the exact same time as our mainline, and that doesn't happen without management collaboration.

It's a real eye-opener when you see the implications.

The CA reported it as soon as he was aware. Do you think he CA is responsible to report things he is unaware of? Omniscient captains, the newest trend in aviation!

The CA reported it as soon as he was aware. Do you think he CA is responsible to report things he is unaware of? Omniscient captains, the newest trend in aviation!

STOP! STOP NOW!

You are making sense. Report immediately to the company shrink for an eval.

In reality, you're right. In this case, it took HOW long to "smell" the issue? Seriously, we are being given more and more responsibility and liability, and less and less power.

Such a gimped up game.

Latest resources

Back