• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

pilot sentenced for being drunk

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FO needs help, I hope he gets it. Our pilot community should support him in his recovery effort.

Captain did what he had to do, we should support him for the situation in which he was placed.

It was a bad place for both pilots. Monday morning quarterbacking will do no good...

Does this thread really need to continue?

FO needs help, I hope he gets it. Our pilot community should support him in his recovery effort.

Captain did what he had to do, we should support him for the situation in which he was placed.

It was a bad place for both pilots. Monday morning quarterbacking will do no good...

Does this thread really need to continue?

He's not getting help nor is he going to get it. He's going to have his career taken from him, and he's going to spend the next 3-6 months in federal prison where murders and rapists are serving their time. Then he will be released with no job and no future at which point his life will probably get even worse. Even if he does get it, it's too late.

He's not getting help nor is he going to get it. He's going to have his career taken from him, and he's going to spend the next 3-6 months in federal prison where murders and rapists are serving their time. Then he will be released with no job and no future at which point his life will probably get even worse. Even if he does get it, it's too late.

I find it hard to believe this guy was ignorant of the consequences. He boozed his way out of a career and couldve gotten help if he wanted to. He choose to push it until he got caught. He's where he belongs... with other criminals. Thats life.

Yeah, Accepting the consequences of your actions is so terrible. He didn't have his career 'taken from him.'

He gave it away.
Boo Hoo.

Granted. If I were the Captain, I would have advised him to bag in sick and depart the premises before anyone had an opportunity to confront him. Maybe he did.
That's the dice you roll when you show up to work drunk. Maybe the other guy doesn't feel like putting his livelihood, his career, his family, everything he's ever worked for on the line for someone stupid enough to show up to work drunk. Who here would?

Last edited:
Wow . . . what a bunch of self-righteous nancy-boys. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

I am in NO WAY advocating showing up under the influence or hung-over, period, but there are better ways to handle this than prison.

The Captain isn't at fault here, but by using a little discretion, he could have kept the guy from ruining the rest of his life, by making him call out sick, and then directing him into the HIMMS program. There was no need to see the guy go to prison and ruin the rest of his life, even if the idea makes some of you self-righteous, "holier-than-thou" people feel better about yourselves.

Last edited:
You assume that the .0001% of regional pilots that actually post on an internet forum is an accurate representation of the entire industry.

You also gave yourself away. This thread is old as dirt and nobody would go searching for it unless they were somehow personally connected to the subject. Therefore, your opinion holds zero weight.

Oh, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Wow . . . what a bunch of self-righteous nancy-boys. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

I am in NO WAY advocating showing up under the influence or hung-over, period, but there are better ways to handle this than prison.

The Captain isn't at fault here, but by using a little discretion, he could have kept the guy from ruining the rest of his life, by making him call out sick, and then directing him into the HIMMS program. There was no need to see the guy go to prison and ruin the rest of his life, even if the idea makes some of you self-righteous, "holier-than-thou" people feel better about yourselves.

What exactly were you searching for when you resurrected this thread?

Well, since you asked-

I had read a rather thought-provoking post by a pilot who had left the 121 world and had not fared well . . . had gone corporate, and then had lost his job. I was hopeful that things had worked out for him since then, so I clicked on "See other posts by this person" to find out if the guy had gotten a job (looks like he did!).

The list of posts he had made included this thread. I didn't remember hearing about this incident, and it sounded interesting, so I read it.

Yes, it was ancient, and I guess could be considered "necro-posting", but I felt like throwing in my 2 cents. Not very exciting, I know, but hey, you asked!

Ty

Last edited:
No blame on the captain. The FO needs help.

When your processing alcohol you can justify just about anything, including showing up for work.

What a shame to see someone that has obviously invested many a night and day only to be taken out by one foolish drunkon. If you know someone who is using get them help. Its just not worth it.

http://himsprogram.com/

Sorry, then anyone driving drunk has an excuse. I will tell you this much. Every friend that I have told not to drive and tried to stop them had known they were too far gone to drive but ignored the fact. They even admit it when sober. Its no excuse. We have all pushed the limits while driving in the past, especially with some states having a .08 (which is like two beers) but come on. Going to work drunk and then blaming the alcohol? Or blaming the "problem"? Its just another sign that our society has no accountability. Blame the alcohol for driving/flying while intoxicated, blame the food for being fat, blame the hot chick for being raped, blame the gun for someone shooting someone.....this is a clear sign of bad decision making.

And before all you idiots out there will bash me for "allowing" my friends in the past for drinking and driving, I will not get into a bar fight and end up in jail for some idiot who wants to keep their keys. I cabbed it home or found a ride-not with a drunk person. The captain is not at fault. When I got this job, i made a decision that no amount of professional respect for a guy will stop me from stopping someone from working drunk. A sick call or a no show is way better than putting lives at stake-if you are willing to make bad decisions

Sorry, then anyone driving drunk has an excuse. I will tell you this much. Every friend that I have told not to drive and tried to stop them had known they were too far gone to drive but ignored the fact. They even admit it when sober. Its no excuse. We have all pushed the limits while driving in the past, especially with some states having a .08 (which is like two beers) but come on. Going to work drunk and then blaming the alcohol? Or blaming the "problem"? Its just another sign that our society has no accountability. Blame the alcohol for driving/flying while intoxicated, blame the food for being fat, blame the hot chick for being raped, blame the gun for someone shooting someone.....this is a clear sign of bad decision making.

And before all you idiots out there will bash me for "allowing" my friends in the past for drinking and driving, I will not get into a bar fight and end up in jail for some idiot who wants to keep their keys. I cabbed it home or found a ride-not with a drunk person. The captain is not at fault. When I got this job, i made a decision that no amount of professional respect for a guy will stop me from stopping someone from working drunk. A sick call or a no show is way better than putting lives at stake-if you are willing to make bad decisions

Gmab, the ca shoulda given him some listerine and told him to sit on his hands and not move. I've seen plenty of ca's who had a hard time even flying sober.

Latest resources

Back