• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mine is = .odon't get caught
and
TSA=.0suckmynuts

And you are a loser, immature, and I hope to God you don't fly for a 121 carrier and if you do my family is NEVER on your flight.

rabba rabba rabba rabba 121! 121 rabba rabba rabba rabba rabba rabba rabba! Blah rabba rabba rabba rabba rabba 121!

You guys act like the regionals have really been raising the bar for the last couple of decades. 121, 135, 91, 944, whatever it is, flying drunk is not acceptable. I'm the first to go to bat for the skill set of most of the regional pilots I've flown with, but this issue has nothing to do with which set of regs you're operating under. Some of you have made the assertion that these people should just go get a corporate gig and carry on. Really?

rabba rabba rabba rabba 121! 121 rabba rabba rabba rabba rabba rabba rabba! Blah rabba rabba rabba rabba rabba 121!

Have you been drinking, Sir?

Right.....cause joking about drinking and flying but just not getting caught are soooo funny and mature!
He might be giddy, having found a path to his fantasy, rough prison sex.

The Captain should have taken the FO out in the jetway and beat the hell out of him, and then called the chief pilot. Man to man conversations do not adequately address incidents of this gravity. I'm glad that you and Hubert in the Cessna Jet can talk man to man when each of you show up intoxicated occasionally, but the stakes are much higher in the airlines. We can't simply talk man to man, man to woman, woman to man, straight to homo, homo to straight, transgender to non-transgender. We have a highly structured and organized environment that we operate in every day. Certain transgressions can be resolved with stern warnings and admonishment, while others require notifying airline management. Airline management can administer discipline and document grossly negligent behavior. Union Pro Standards will give the idiot a candy bar and tell him to lay low for a month. The candy bar will be paid for by union member dues. When I commute to work or my family travels by airplane, I demand that each pilot's blood alcohol level be 0. Anything above 0 is not only criminal and unacceptable, but it requires the removal of the individual from the ranks of airline pilots. This is not just my opinion; it is the law of the land. Maybe the alcoholic dimwit can go fly Ricky Bobby and his fake boobied wife to Talladega in the King Air or something, but he can't fly 121 anymore. There are too many lives at stake. There are babies that just started there life, there are newlyweds trying to get to their honeymoon, there is the 40 year old mom going for cancer treatment, there is the father of 4 who loves his children and wants to see their soccer game or baseball game or football game, there is my gorgeous ass reading the newspaper going to work, and most certainly irritated already. When we take this job, we agree to show up sober every single day. No breaks, no exceptions, no good old boys covering each other's asses (Sandusky style). Your heart is in the right place, but your head is in the sand. Be courageous enough to hold yourself and your co-workers accountable. The baby and his mother in row 8 will be eternally grateful...

All in all, I agree with you on the alcohol, but you do realize that pilots are flying the equivalent of intoxicated every day due to fatigue both acute and chronic. It reminds me of the Captain I flew with who was extremely by the book including not reading any in the flight deck. Chief Pilot material. Perfect uniform, perfect everything, hand flew up to cruise. 5 leg day followed by a short overnight and this guy is head bobbing all the way back to base.

• Being awake for 17 hours impairs performance to the same level as having a 0.05 blood alcohol content.
  • Being awake for 20 hours impairs performance to the same level as having a 0.1 blood alcohol content.

There are enough pilots who are not this type of screwup. He had his chance, now game over. Go work somewhere else. Or maybe the airline could hire him back as a gate agent or baggage handler if he needs employment.

If he is really repentant, maybe a ground instructor.

If he can stay clean for 5-10 years, then maybe reinstate him as a pilot.

As far as the captain goes, I would have done the same. I am not going to compound a crime by helping cover it up.

I would have told the FO that I am calling the company to voice my concern about suspecting that he was intoxicated.

He could always call in sick and leave the gate area if he wants to. But no way I am covering for it once it happened. The coverup is always worse than the crime.

Latest resources

Back