• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

pilot sentenced for being drunk

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can see both sides... but this Captain should have taken the F/O out in the jetway and had a discussion with him. One professional to the next- told him to call in sick, go home and get cleaned up. Then I would have maybe dropped a dime on pro standards. But calling the Chief Pilot??? Seems like this isn't the first time RAH had some guys going directly to the top. Anyone remember the Carmex incident? Come on- I thought everyone would have been on the same page by now. If you go directly to the management instead of man to man or going to the union; you've made a bad choice.

Carmex incident?? LXA what are you doing? You still have the best post of all time on here. Hope things are good.

The Captain should have taken the FO out in the jetway and beat the hell out of him, and then called the chief pilot. Man to man conversations do not adequately address incidents of this gravity. I'm glad that you and Hubert in the Cessna Jet can talk man to man when each of you show up intoxicated occasionally, but the stakes are much higher in the airlines. We can't simply talk man to man, man to woman, woman to man, straight to homo, homo to straight, transgender to non-transgender. We have a highly structured and organized environment that we operate in every day. Certain transgressions can be resolved with stern warnings and admonishment, while others require notifying airline management. Airline management can administer discipline and document grossly negligent behavior. Union Pro Standards will give the idiot a candy bar and tell him to lay low for a month. The candy bar will be paid for by union member dues. When I commute to work or my family travels by airplane, I demand that each pilot's blood alcohol level be 0. Anything above 0 is not only criminal and unacceptable, but it requires the removal of the individual from the ranks of airline pilots. This is not just my opinion; it is the law of the land. Maybe the alcoholic dimwit can go fly Ricky Bobby and his fake boobied wife to Talladega in the King Air or something, but he can't fly 121 anymore. There are too many lives at stake. There are babies that just started there life, there are newlyweds trying to get to their honeymoon, there is the 40 year old mom going for cancer treatment, there is the father of 4 who loves his children and wants to see their soccer game or baseball game or football game, there is my gorgeous ass reading the newspaper going to work, and most certainly irritated already. When we take this job, we agree to show up sober every single day. No breaks, no exceptions, no good old boys covering each other's asses (Sandusky style). Your heart is in the right place, but your head is in the sand. Be courageous enough to hold yourself and your co-workers accountable. The baby and his mother in row 8 will be eternally grateful...

Last edited:
The Captain should have taken the FO out in the jetway and beat the hell out of him, and then called the chief pilot. Man to man conversations do not adequately address incidents of this gravity. I'm glad that you and Hubert in the Cessna Jet can talk man to man when each of you show up intoxicated occasionally, but the stakes are much higher in the airlines. We can't simply talk man to man, man to woman, woman to man, straight to homo, homo to straight, transgender to non-transgender. We have a highly structured and organized environment that we operate in every day. Certain transgressions can be resolved with stern warnings and admonishment, while others require notifying airline management. Airline management can administer discipline and document grossly negligent behavior. Union Pro Standards will give the idiot a candy bar and tell him to lay low for a month. The candy bar will be paid for by union member dues. When I commute to work or my family travels by airplane, I demand that each pilot's blood alcohol level be 0. Anything above 0 is not only criminal and unacceptable, but it requires the removal of the individual from the ranks of airline pilots. This is not just my opinion; it is the law of the land. Maybe the alcoholic dimwit can go fly Ricky Bobby and his fake boobied wife to Talladega in the King Air or something, but he can't fly 121 anymore. There are too many lives at stake. There are babies that just started there life, there are newlyweds trying to get to their honeymoon, there is the 40 year old mom going for cancer treatment, there is the father of 4 who loves his children and wants to see their soccer game or baseball game or football game, there is my gorgeous ass reading the newspaper going to work, and most certainly irritated already. When we take this job, we agree to show up sober every single day. No breaks, no exceptions, no good old boys covering each other's asses (Sandusky style). Your heart is in the right place, but your head is in the sand. Be courageous enough to hold yourself and your co-workers accountable. The baby and his mother in row 8 will be eternally grateful...

I agree with you. I still think 6 months in prison is harsh. His career being over is enough punishment IMHO.

His career is over an a whole new one is starting, releasing the sexual tension of just about every guy in his cell block. He will learn how to fold laundry in between cornholings too!

I can see both sides... but this Captain should have taken the F/O out in the jetway and had a discussion with him. One professional to the next- told him to call in sick, go home and get cleaned up. Then I would have maybe dropped a dime on pro standards. But calling the Chief Pilot??? Seems like this isn't the first time RAH had some guys going directly to the top. Anyone remember the Carmex incident? Come on- I thought everyone would have been on the same page by now. If you go directly to the management instead of man to man or going to the union; you've made a bad choice.

yeah cuz putting slippery carmex goop over critical flight controls (like reverse triggers) and elsewhere is professional and not a problem during a rejected t/o at V1... are those the kind of pilots you want flying your family around at 4AM on a weather day?

Latest resources

Back