• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Retirees may come back

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You know what's really scary? My grandfather is 65 and we had to take his car keys away. He now just sits in a nursing home all day pooping in his diaper and drooling on himself.

Is this the kind of person you really want flying your loved ones around? LOL

Sorry to hear that about your grandfather. My dad still runs his own company, plays tennis twice a week, pilots his own plane, and travels all over the world. He will be 70 this year. My father in-law will be 77 this year. He still practices law, rides his bike for an hour a day, and just finished working for congress reviewing federally appointed judges for the American Bar Association. I guess it all depends on how you take care of yourself and the luck of your family genes.

P.S. Pocono Pilot, how old are you? 18 or 19?

Sorry to hear that about your grandfather. My dad still runs his own company, plays tennis twice a week, pilots his own plane, and travels all over the world. He will be 70 this year. My father in-law will be 77 this year. He still practices law, rides his bike for an hour a day, and just finished working for congress reviewing federally appointed judges for the American Bar Association. I guess it all depends on how you take care of yourself and the luck of your family genes.

P.S. Pocono Pilot, how old are you? 18 or 19?
Your dad or father in-law are not airline pilots. Fly the airlines for 30 years and you will be in a nursing home taking a crap in a diaper all day.

Your dad or father in-law are not airline pilots. Fly the airlines for 30 years and you will be in a nursing home taking a crap in a diaper all day.

Why do you say such things when you now there is no truth in what you have posted?

I guess I missed the part where he stated his grandfather was a major airline pilot for any length of time.

Dude,
For the money, flying in the airlines (OK, major airlines) is about as easy as it gets...ever had a real job?

You know what's really scary? My grandfather is 65 and we had to take his car keys away. He now just sits in a nursing home all day pooping in his diaper and drooling on himself.

Is this the kind of person you really want flying your loved ones around? LOL

WOW..at age 65? thats sad. So my answer to your question is...no, I don't want somebody like your grandfather flying anyone around. but just because your grandfather is pretty much an invalid at age 65 doesn't mean everyone else his age is the same. I know my dad isn't and he is older then your grandfather.

My mom and dad walk a few miles every morning....is involved in his community, keeps the family business going, and still has a beer or two a couple of nights a week. Him and my mom still go dancing a couple of nights a month. He is 76 years old and still going strong.

Your genetics play a huge part in how you will age. Of course, how one takes care of himself plays a role also.

If you eat at McDonald's 5 nights a week...you are looking for trouble, no matter your genetic history.

All of my dad's brothers are still living. Only one is older than him...the youngest is 63...and ( sadly) still chasing women...and continues to get caught. not good. His genetics may be good...but his lifestyle may cause him some problems.

Last edited:

Does flying airplanes stress you out? Low vis approaches make you scared? Do you have any proof that "flying the airlines for 30 years" will put one in a nursing home?

I'll say for myself, this is a relatively easy job...especially with all the scheduling options we have at "my house"

Your right they did not fly for 30 years. Both have been working for over 50+ years. So you tell me, since you seem to be the brain trust, what is so hard about piloting an airplane for 30+ years that would make someone in such poor shape at the age of 65. The only reason I can see is that person has a very unlucky set of genes or they took very poor care of their personel health. I would suspect the latter.:smash:

Last edited:
One is a retired Army General, former President of a very large law firm, and law partner. The other has built up a construction business to become the second largest in the state. Both have been working for over 50+ years. :smash:

I'll tell you what. Neither of your relatives isn't going to making major legal or critical engineering decisons at 4:00 am after being awake for 20 hours.

They make those types of choices during meetings from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.

I've heard enough of "my old man is still a sharp guy" talk. I flew bizjets with a few. Sharp guys between 10:00am-2:00pm, they faded fast after that period and after long days.

Don't let the facts get in the way.

Latest resources

Back