• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Retirees may come back

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am certain of the following, while many will say that they want to retire early, at 55 or age 60, that just will not happen. Very few, no matter what they say now or even based on what they believe to be true when they say it, will retire at age 60.

Nearly 150 retired from AA last week. No one had reached 60.

Everyone's circumstances are different.

Nearly 150 retired from AA last week. No one had reached 60.

Of course the decision of those pilots was a special situation and was based solely on money. And money will be the driving force for those in the future who choose to continue flying past age 60. As long as there is a DC retirement plan the incentive is to fly as long as possible or until there is a physical issue. If there is a financial incentive to retire early, then there will be more early retirements. Count on it.

Was it right to change the age-60 rule? You bet it was because it was wrong from the beginning.

Co-Pilot Doug: You are DG right?

No, I'm not DG. Just curious, if aircraft with flight engineers were still around, would you have hung around to fly for first year FE pay?

Southwest has a shortage of pilots? You mean they're not filling their new hire classes? Wow! Pretty bad when you have to dredge up the gummers to staff your airline. :rolleyes:

Me thinks it has more to do with the over 60 pukes having friends in high (low) places.

Having cake and eating it too...priceless. What a bunch of d o u c h e bags.

Things over there must be as bad as they are here. Why would anyone want to do this job one second longer then they have (had) to? I'll never understand it.

If you're coming back to sit reserve for a couple years on new hire wages I'd say you pretty much had to.

Some folks have had family illness wipe them out. Or picked the wrong partner - at least once. Or had bad financial advice. Or or or.

In the case of your purple brothers, well, they had the tenacity to stick around hoping the law would change. And it did. Now they're jumping back to the head of the line. That's a totally different senario than what's taking place at WN.

Gup

Latest resources

Back