• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot negativity

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think pilots are negative about the business because they often do not understand the thinking, do not like the fact that schdules are not predictible except at the airlines, and feel some what removed from the main organization and what is going on.

Don't I work for you. ;)

Makesheepnervous, I LOVE your handle! :beer: Lets compare notes Re: Previous careers.

I spent 7 years driving Over the Road semi-trucks, and accumulated a million miles in my logbooks. This was in addition to another 5 years as a local driver. Once while I was driving I calculated how much time I was devoting to my truck in addition to the actual time spent driving (loading, unloading, waiting for dispatch, fueling, washes, buying/selling pallets, weighing, etc). When I tallied it all up, I realized I was putting in somewhere between 120 and 140 hours per week, and I was only being paid for the time I actually spent driving. Now if you do the math, you will discover there are only 168 hours in a week, so there was almost NO time for sleeping/eating/showers/laundry. Helovalot of work for $45-50K income too.

I too have noticed how negative the whiners are here, and all I can say to them is "Quit yer biatchin, this job ain't for sissies." I still love my flying and everything that goes with it, and you will never hear me complain 'cause its still far superior (and much less work) to driving that truck!

AerroMatt

Makesheepnervous, I LOVE your handle! :beer: Lets compare notes Re: Previous careers.

I spent 7 years driving Over the Road semi-trucks, and accumulated a million miles in my logbooks. This was in addition to another 5 years as a local driver. Once while I was driving I calculated how much time I was devoting to my truck in addition to the actual time spent driving (loading, unloading, waiting for dispatch, fueling, washes, buying/selling pallets, weighing, etc). When I tallied it all up, I realized I was putting in somewhere between 120 and 140 hours per week, and I was only being paid for the time I actually spent driving. Now if you do the math, you will discover there are only 168 hours in a week, so there was almost NO time for sleeping/eating/showers/laundry. Helovalot of work for $45-50K income too.

I too have noticed how negative the whiners are here, and all I can say to them is "Quit yer biatchin, this job ain't for sissies." I still love my flying and everything that goes with it, and you will never hear me complain 'cause its still far superior (and much less work) to driving that truck!
Most pilots complain about there jobs,but they would never change their career.Line guys rule!

yea fly because you like to, complain to keep other people out.

I think the part of the reason is the average pilot is lied to about their career outlook. These flight schools will literaly say anything to get money out of them. Even if someone starts very young they will likely not make a major until at least there thirties and by then they want to settle down and start a family.
I agree. Unfortunately, for many pilots, years of complaining and telling people how it really is on the airline side won't undo their few months of schmoozing on the CFI side.

I work for a Charter company, and it doesn't suck

I agree with all about the fact that pilots in general cry and complain with the best of them.

Once I decide to go civ. I'll be looking into 135. I know of a couple that actually have good schedules and the buds I know that work there really enjoy it. Of course there are good days and bad days BUT if you find a job out there in any field that doesn't have the same thing let us know and we'll all jump on the ship headin that way.

Flyin no doubt beats the heck out of working anyday. I see the enlisted guys workin hard and wishing they were in the cockpit and not doin the tough work that keeps us goin and alive.

Have a good one ALL.

HAP

One can not argue that pilots whine about their jobs alot. Pay, perdiem, schedule, QOL - all issues that you can easily put up against a typical 9-5 desk job and a pilot ends up looking like a crying baby.

However, I think we can cut ourselves a little slack. We work in an adversarial environment which every day pits the safety of other people lives against the company's bottom line.

Contented or not

Pilot negativity is directly proportional to mgmt competence!!!!!! A lot of us have been there,so we know!

Latest resources

Back