Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with pilotyip.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT-LEAVE!

We all know how bad this industry is/can be. We all know it is cyclical. When I went to flight school I didn't even pay any attention to those pipe dreams they were peddling. I pretty much figured this career is gonna be what I make of it.

You think this 135 thing is negative. Go over to the regionals board. What a bunch of whiny girls!
Sometimes, I just go over there to get a good laugh. I especially enjoy listening to the 500 hour rj wonders bash the industry like they've been at it for 20 years.

In the end (a&p, cfiguy made some good points) but flightinfo is probably one of the worse forums out there.

It is one of the worst when moderators allow the psycho babble ,of the kind on this 135 board , that keep stringing out these non sensical , school-yard arguments like the ones about silverhawk avaition.

This has nothing to do with aviation. In every industry, people are way more likely to express their negative views than their positive views. Haven't you ever heard that a customer who recieved bad service will tell at least ten people, while a customer who got great service might tell one person if anyone. The advent of the internet and these message boards makes it easier to tell everyone about your bad experiences, but still most don't take the time and effort to talk about good experiences. Just human nature, I guess. Has nothing to do with aviaiton. My guess is there are plenty of happy aviators out there. You just won't find them in here bitching about how happy they are. People just don't see the need to express positive views. I wonder if anyone has ever called those "how's my driving" hotlines to tell the operator "this guy is a great driver!"

Doesn't everyone complain about friends and family that they love?

If things were so bad, we wouldn't be involved within the various tiers of flying or bother reading and posting on this board.

I don't think you will find any negative comments from me so i should be pretty impartial to your post. I have flown for 4 charter companies in my career and 3 of them were low down, law breaking, unsafe scumbag operators who didn't care about their employees. The other one went out of business. I work for netjets now and love it. So, i think there is something to the complaining you here on this forum. Walk a mile in there shoes before you down them .

People is aviation are bitter-true. We are sick of being treated like crap. You know if I call in sick I get yelled yet! This industry, 121, is the most f-ed up industry. Crew scheduling and dispatch were the first signs of "wow airlines are so messed up." Let alone management; they have a true disconnect with the operations side of the house. Also most of the quality of pilots, and I am talking about intellectual stamina, are fairly weak. Some of the guys I have flown with are pure low-class people. I think being a pilot is great. I am also convinced that being a pilot would be much better if I owned my own airplane and did it as a hobby. Time will tell.

If ya ain't bitchin', ya ain't happy. If ya ain't happy, ya bitchin'.

CSM Freddie Smith, Co. C, 3rd SFG(A), 1st SF: 1969

I worked 17 years as a plant manager in my previous career and I would take working in aviation over my previous job any time even at 1/2 the pay (I actually took about a 75% pay cut initially)

I work charter and I'll be working 26 days this month, (18 days is the average) but 12 days of that will be layovers and 2 of those will be on the beach in Cancun. Compare that to my old job; 70 - 80 hour 6 day work weeks for 50 weeks a year, and as for the A'hole ratio, it was waaayy higher than I experience now and the vast majority of the people I work with don't complain. I think those who do complain just haven't tried working a regular job for any length of time.

Having been at this for 34 years, there are a number of things about the industry and business that are unique.
Operating aircraft in business, be it in any operation from corporate, charter, airlines, fractionals, whatever is the most difficult task of all the businesses I have run. That is amazing as there are so many that seem to feel they could easily do it.
Secondly, pilots in general are on a different career path than the companies that they work for until they get up in seniority at an airline or in a very secure Fortune 500 type job. There are exceptions but generally a pilots career path requires switching companies.
While everyone points to the cost of the actual aircraft, to many of the owners, that is the least of the problems. The operating costs are what they are concerned with. As example, many aircraft keep their capital value, therefore the cost is interest on financing, and, that is deductible so someone else is paying for 50% of that. It is management of the monthly operating costs they can effect their management skills. Pilots see the money spent on the aircraft and think that they should be paid relative to that.
I think pilots are negative about the business because they often do not understand the thinking, do not like the fact that schdules are not predictible except at the airlines, and feel some what removed from the main organization and what is going on.

Latest resources

Back