Pilot in Command

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
*Jedi Nein digs into her battered FAR/AIM.*

AAhhhh! 91.13 Careless or reckless operation.

*She shakes her head, mumbles something about studying the regs before the next checkride, and heads offline to find the car keys.*

Hey bug...........

You and me both know that MS is the closest we'll ever get to an airplane.

"WORST EPISODE EVER!!"

*SpinDoctor shakes his head, can't belive how some people are allowed to teach other peple how to fly.*

*SpinDoctor shakes his head...wondering how someple can teach others without having at least studied the regs.*

*SpinDoctor shakes his head...wondering........*

What did this board become? PC, tree-hugging, don't worry, it'll be okay, you don't need to know the PTS, things are fine, turn on the autopiltot-it'll help, the flight director always knows which way is up, you'll pass your checkride, it's train to proficiency, they won't fire you cause you have 300 hours, landings.......that's okay you only have to do it once a career, ............................

Bug you and me know that back in the days..........

SpinDoctor said:
*SpinDoctor shakes his head, can't belive how some people are allowed to teach other peple how to fly.*

*SpinDoctor shakes his head...wondering how someple can teach others without having at least studied the regs.*

*SpinDoctor shakes his head...wondering........*

What did this board become? PC, tree-hugging, don't worry, it'll be okay, you don't need to know the PTS, things are fine, turn on the autopiltot-it'll help, the flight director always knows which way is up, you'll pass your checkride, it's train to proficiency, they won't fire you cause you have 300 hours, landings.......that's okay you only have to do it once a career, ............................

Bug you and me know that back in the days..........

SpinDoctor,

There was no reason to turn start insulting anyone here. A simple mistake in a number is a poor reason to lose your cool. These boards are for discussion. They are for learning. They are not to prove to one another how much everyone else does not know.

Your post above went to lengths farther than necessary. I applaud Ms. Nein for keeping her cool when you decided to pick on her and not her POST. You did not even recognize her comments. Had she been talking about wallpaper it seems you would have found a reason to insult her. Perhaps you do need to go back to MSFS, no people to piss off there. Or for that matter no one for you to nitpick at.

Ali

Spin Dr.,
Time for you to take some good natured lumps...

Jedi Nein may not be able to write a sentence using standard sentax but your speeling is atrocious;) Also...it's "you and I", not "you and me".

Let he who has no grammar ability cast the first clause;)

Oh no, it's the grammar police!!!:(

Avbug....you missed my point, entirely

I should have realized that as pilots people would try to turn my questions in to scenarios. I was actually just trying to discuss what people consider their obligations and limits with respect to emergencies and the fact that large fast planes have a huge potential for devastation.

you wrote:
<<You tell me this. You are exiting the aircraft after a flight, and someone enters the terminal, or the parking outside the terminal. They have a weapon. Do you hide, do you go for them, do you find a phone and call for help? Are you going to go be a hero now, or is it just in the cockpit? Just where does that job end, that walter mitty fantasy about saving the day? Do your darndest to make it all work out, but in the end, if it doesn't, it is NOT your fault>>
Not even remotely in the scope of what I was talking about. I was talking about the responsibility associated with being the pilot in command. I'll answer your scenario anyway. I provide what help I could. And I don't know what that would be. As far as the "saving the day" fantasy, I never said anything about winning fights or saving all lives on board with a tooth pick and some duct tape. My view is simply each pilot should contribute what they can to a bad situation. And maximize what they can contribute. It is a different job and a different level of responsibility than any other job. If you don't see it that way, fine. That is what I was wondering. Politics aside I don't see why anyone would eliminate the tools to help in such a situation. I really don't care if it is leathal or not, however leathal is still the proven method at this point.

you wrote:
<<Stop dwelling on killing. If you must, dwell on stopping a fight by whatever means necessary. However, you're very bent on coming back to this killing thing. >>

I mentioned death to evoke answers related to descision making and to find out what people considered their limits/options in dealing with emegencies. No need for a personal attack for asking a question.

doesn't quite work

gsrc

In aviation I have come to the conclusiont that there are no what ifs. Pretty much ever scenario is different and the decision made will be dependant on many different factors.

I do support pilots with guns, but I do believe that a pilots first job is to fly the airplane. It not his job to play superman.

Most people dont set personal limits in this type of situations. It would be ridiculous to ask them to do so. In a situation full of adrenalin and panic, possibly many factors unknown things will be done that may be right or wrong at the time. Later they may prove to be otherwise. Hindsight is 20/20.

Your question posed is kind of a what would you do if you had a million dollars question. Yea you can say anything you want right now, but it does not matter anyway. If and when it ever actually happnes you will have alot of other things to deal with.

Ali

My $.02 on this.

Fly the airplane. If someone has another agenda for the airplane's flight, such as a terrorist, you, the pilot in command, need to have the greatest number of options available. You do your best, having evaluated the options as they present themselves. Minimize the threat, maximixe the survival.

Dark areas near the highway? There could be dozens of houses, apartments, etc there. Go for the highway. Rescue and fire will be able to approach the aircraft easily compared to a smear of houses and trees along your touchdown path when off the highway.

Gun on takeoff? Recent events dictate that the plane should not take off. You decide what to do.

There is no need for the vitriol we sometimes find here. We are guests of the webmaster, even if we helped pay for this. No need for ill-conceived paragraphs of personal attacks, flamebait, or nonsense. No need to waste time, either.

Latest resources

Back