Pilot hiring hoax, BEWARE!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Chocks

A buddy of mine posted this on another board.

"Got an email from a guy claiming to be the Chief Pilot at Cox Cable Communications that indicated he was really interested in hiring me. The email address is from [email protected] and he claims to have gotten my email from the AvJobs.com website.

Got a second email that asks for some pretty specific information for FAA background check purposes. Asks for things like Bank Account numbers, SSN, FAA number, Drivers License and Mother's Maiden Name.

Bottom line is that it is bogus. Sounds alot like an attempt at identity theft.

Cox has an aviation services division but are not aware of who this guy is. AvJobs.com has recieved 3 complaints today about it.

Don't fall for this guy. I say we all email the guy at [email protected] and tell him what we think of him.

Bill

I would turn your complaint over to the FBI. This sounds like, among the obvious, a clear case of wire fraud.

Definitely a matter for the FBI. Wire fraud is the least of this guy's malfeasance. To be attempting to hijack a licensed airline pilot's identity in this day and age has entirely different implications. Tell him to call the feds.

Your Buddy does need to contact the Feds. First to protect himself and the second reason is to find out how serious they will take aviation security issues. This sure appears to be one.
Thanks for the heads up. All of us need to watch out for each other...

I could see the FBI taking it very seriously when someone is trying to solicit all kinds of personal data that could be used to possibly impersonate a pilot

If (and I hope he does) your buddy turns this over to the authorities, please let us know what happens. I'd be curious to see how serious they are taking this sort of thing and how they handle it.

I

I agree with the concensus. Call the authorities, and follow it up.

Out of idle curiousity, did it not strike him as strange that anyone from Cox Communications would be using an email address on YAHOO. Cox is a huge communications company. I would doubt that their corporate website and email servers are hosted by Yahoo.

Helllloooo!!!!

Latest resources

Back