• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Hats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe when you're at a hotel you might blend in as a bellhop, however, at the airport there is no mistaking an airline pilot when a hat is worn. That is reason enough to wear one. I think everyone would agree in our profession that it was not easy to achieve this job, so wear the hat and respect the profession and its tradition. Otherwise, as I have experienced, all you get are questions from people that think you are a flightattdt/customer service rep.

Hats must still be something that the public respects since every other week we have a parent with a child come up to the cockpit wanting to take a picture of their kid with a hat on. Sometimes tradition is just better left alone.

At some airlines in the past, if you were caught in the terminal without a hat on(in uniform), a fine($) could be forthcoming from management. I don't know if this is still the practice at any airlines today?

Sure, they might look a little goofy - but it's apart of the tradition and history of aviation. That aside, this is a modern world and the functionality of the hat is gone. But it is apart of the uniform at the airlines who use them that way. I agree - when alone, it looks weird, but at the airport it tlooks kinda sharp. I personally think that the uniform looks incomplete without the hat. The uniform looks even more incomplete in the summer when we take our jackets off, but that's a whole different ball game. I wanna laugh at the folks who bring their hats with them, but choose to carry instead. YOu go through the effort in remembering to bring it, then crarry it, you might as well wear the dam thing! I always remind myself when I think I look like a walking billboard with my hat on (large hatpin), that I expect the company to hold up their end of our contract - the least I could do is hold up my end of the bargain.

FO

Always have liked it and always work a little "50 mission crush" on it so it doesn't look so dorky. Unfortunate the prestige of the job hasn't been as resiliant as the uniform style.

If you have to wear one, count yourself fortunate in this market!

Of course I havn't had to wear one yet, but I don't think the hat is such a bad thing.

Now as for you guys who are insulting some for using mousse or gel, and styling their hair, that looks a lot more professional than you with your dull, messy hair going in all directions like you just got out of bed. You'll be taking off that hat some time, and then it will show.

Or maybe all of you against us who comb our hair are just old and are losing all of yours. So maybe it's a jealousy thing.:D

The hat looks stupid,very few and I mean very few look decent wearing one.They are outdated and and of no use.I agree with JB on this one.This is the 21first century lets look like it.

We just went hats-optional recently at SWA and the overwhelming majority have chosen to leave them home. I never really minded wearing it, but decided to just follow the trend on this one.

Oh and for Spike, while you may think the leather jacket looks stupid, its practicality during the cold weather months is undeniable. What would you rather drag around on a 4-day:

blazer, trenchcoat, and non-uniform jacket----or.....

leather jacket?

leather

It was an opinion, but like the hats if enough people are wearing them they don't look as bad.

I said LOOK stupid, because they don't exactly match blue uniforms.

I think I am starting to lean toward the practicality, but now my legs are going to freeze off.

Hey GCD you got me on that one. Don't tell me what I have to do to wear my hat with pride. I DO wear it with pride. Again, that doesn't mean I have to like the way it looks, so relax. Have fun. I'm not bashing anyone, so why do you?

Latest resources

Back