Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

§kyye Candy

Remove before flight...
Apparently it's not crew scheduling issues at all that is causing fatigue... it's YOUR fault for commuting! Who knew!

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2007/11/travel-time-to-.html

Travel time to work is major factor in 'pilot fatigue'

George Stevens - Pittsburgh
Yes, airline pilots are often fatigued when they work, but current duty times are not unreasonable to ensure safety. The issue that often is not addressed by the unions, pilots, airlines or government is that many airline pilots do not live in the cities in which their airlines are based. This causes problems ("Fatigue key to mistakes among pilots," News, Thursday).
(Photo — Got sleep? Hundreds of pilots, mechanics and air-traffic controllers blame mistakes on fatigue, a USA TODAY analysis of safety records since 2003 shows.
/ By Eric Miller, Reuters)
Pilots who commute to work often begin their day much earlier than their official duty time. They make long drives through traffic or they fly standby on an airplane to get to their hub. With full flights and flight delays, this often adds stress to the pilot's workday, and he or she can get worn out before starting work. This is unsafe. Commuting time should be counted as duty time, if the airlines and government continue to allow pilots to live so far away from their hubs.
Sleeping in a pilot lounge on a sofa is not the same as sleeping in a bed in a quiet hotel or in one's bed at home. Let's not make more restrictive rules that only make us feel safer on paper. Let's address real issues that really do make flying safer.

Funny thing is that the FAA considers your ride from the Airport to the Hotel as a rest period!

So if your on the wonderful 8 hr. rest overnight it sure is handy to get that awesome rest in the van to and from the airport.

The reduced rest overnight is what needs to be fixed! You should have no less then 10hrs between flight duties.

Funny thing is that the FAA considers your ride from the Airport to the Hotel as a rest period!

So if your on the wonderful 8 hr. rest overnight it sure is handy to get that awesome rest in the van to and from the airport.

The reduced rest overnight is what needs to be fixed! You should have no less then 10hrs between flight duties.

Not to mention the circadian rhythm swaps. Nothing like going from days to a high-speed and back again.

I agree with scheudling on this one. Bull$hit schedules are besides the point in this context. If you choose to commute and deal with the stress and it adds 6 hours on top of your 12 hour duty day then that's your fault. Move to your domicile.

I dont commute and I get fatigued.
I always find it funny that a dispatcher is only allowed 10 hours of duty per the FAA, but pilots are allowed 16 hours of duty.

Not sleeping tonight, have recurrent ground. Will sleep in class.. hehe

Last edited:
I tried to make it better with mine.

Yes she is very nice. I wonder if she has any Italian in her. Would she like some.. hehe

Latest resources

Back