Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good leadership and organization

koop said:
Our department's Pilot / A&P relationship is getting worse by the day. Our mechanics think we don't do anything but go out of town and play golf and have fun. The don't see all the time away from family and friends and all the long, long, long days. The two sides are basically at WAR. You can feel the hatred when you walk into the hangar. People are getting nails in tires, prank phone calls in the middle of the night, false accusations to the boss, etc. Does anybody know this pain? Are there any suggestions on what can be done?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

This type of situation can definitely be a safety issue and has been the catalyst for department sterilization on more than one occasion.

You need to revise or create clear job descriptions for all positions. All this must be sanctioned in your ops manual by upper management. Does everyone have a current ops manual? Also, your department managers appear to be weak leaders from your description of the situation. In addition to a good company operations manual, you need: good, professional, un-harnessed leadership to correct this problem.

Good luck,

Last edited:
koop said:
Hwkrdrvr you hit the nail on the head about ONE guy being the problem. Our director of maintenance has basically attacked every junior (10 years and under) pilot in our department. I think our Director of Operations is afraid of the guy and does nothing about his temper, false allocations, negative attitude, and so forth.

We all help with airplanes in and out of the hangar every flight. I have even tried the donuts on different occasions. It will be interesting to see how things work out. I have pretty much made it clear to my boss that the next time he falsely accuses me of doing something that I haven't done I will file a harrassment charge against him through our company. I know how huge of a situation this is but it seems to be my only way to get the guy off my back. I have 5 other pilots that said when I do they will join in and interview on my behalf if asked to go downtown. Does anybody have any experience on this drastic of a measure? I know it is crazy but maybe thats what it will take to get our nut job OUT!!!

I have been with this company for 8 years and the job and pay is great. The ONLY bad thing is the negative stigma that hangs over our hangar. If we didn't have that it would be perfect.

Thanks for all the help guys!

A general mutiny usually alerts the company that there is more to this problem than a simple personality conflict.

Wow, I didn't know things we're so rotten between pilots and mechanics (or I suppose, technicians in your world).

I have had the displeasure of dealing with incredible jerk pilots in my career one of which prided himself on writing up something (every time a non existant problem i.e. engine surging)and telling maintenance "it's down hard!". What a pr*ck!

I've also worked with mechanics that thought pilots are scum.

Well, like the 208Tech said, can't we all just get along?!?

We need one another don't we???

This post is a pile of crap. What the hell? If someone does not like their job or their current situation they should do something else. Damage to someones personal property is criminal. Do you have to worry that your tire is going to blow out at 70 mph on the highway? This is freaking ridiculous.

koop said:
Hwkrdrvr you hit the nail on the head about ONE guy being the problem. Our director of maintenance has basically attacked every junior (10 years and under) pilot in our department. I think our Director of Operations is afraid of the guy and does nothing about his temper, false allocations, negative attitude, and so forth.

We all help with airplanes in and out of the hangar every flight. I have even tried the donuts on different occasions. It will be interesting to see how things work out. I have pretty much made it clear to my boss that the next time he falsely accuses me of doing something that I haven't done I will file a harrassment charge against him through our company. I know how huge of a situation this is but it seems to be my only way to get the guy off my back. I have 5 other pilots that said when I do they will join in and interview on my behalf if asked to go downtown. Does anybody have any experience on this drastic of a measure? I know it is crazy but maybe thats what it will take to get our nut job OUT!!!

Thanks for all the help guys!

The chances of success for your planned course of action depends on several factors.

1. What's the relationship between the DOM and Director of Aviation.
2. Are they personal friends or even like each other ?
3. What type of credibility does the Director of Aviation hold with senior management ?
4. Is the DOM wired in somehow with senior management ?
5. Does your boss even feel that there's a problem? What was his reaction when you brought this to his attention?

My point is that before you tread down this dangerous path you need to do your research. More than one guy in your position has fallen prey to the old "Texas 2-Step". I've unfortunately been witness to a lot of this nonsense for only being 30 yrs. old. Too much already which is why I kind of like our small little department. I've seen and heard of only a precious few instances where a "general mutiny" worked out in favor of the lynch mob...

Last edited:
i agree that the best thing to do is to clean house. I've been the DOM for our company for awhile and before that I was the lead mechanic for 4 years, so it allowed me to sit back and watch how the big wigs wanted things ran. I watched 3 DOM's come through this place in the 5 years that I have been here. Every single one had their own little idea of how to run the place and it usually turned out to bite them in the rear. First off, the director of flight ops HAS to get along with the DOM, they at least have to keep a "good" line of communication between them. For awhile I had some problems with a few pilots, because i changed the way a few things were taking place and nobody likes change especially when they can't sit on their butts anymore (not an attack against pilots, just to long of a story to tell). If the DO gets along with the DOM, then that allows smoother interaction between all of the pilots, no matter how many you have. The doughnuts thing is nice and wing-walking is nice too, but don't ever look down on teh mechanics. Chances are they know more about the aircraft that you will ever and it's their job to do so. You also have to trust them, if you don't, then definately sit down with the DOM and talk about it, explain everything. You guys may have long hours, but what about the mechanics when they are there until 5 am so you can take the boss to the Bahamas. I'm not a pilot basher, I'm a pilot myself, I could go out and compete with a lot of you guys for a nice Captain position, I choose to be a mechanic, because I love what I do. Just try and get along and don't be afraid to suck up your pride every once in awhile, say thanks, I gaurantee that if you get along with you maintenance staff that you will feel more comfortable about doing your job and not having to worry about the safety of the aircraft. Remember, the aircraft always belongs to the mechanic, they just let you borrow it.

helimech, GREAT POST. I have tried it both ways and you speak the truth. Our mechs and pilots play the pilot vs mech game all the time, but at the end of the day it is all about the mission. WE are all a team and WE all have to help each other. WE will all look like idiots if in-fighting prevents US from completing the mission.

Helimech, I think you said it better than anyone else could have. Great post, strife amongst maint. and flight crews has brought down more than a few good dept's. (no pun intended)

pilot -vs- mech?

Well, at a company I was working for a while back, the president of the company thought it to be a good idea for all of the maintenance dept and all if the pilots that were available, go to TBC Team building Concepts. It is an indoor go-cart track off of I-35 in Dallas. We have a good time, but then again, the mechs and the pilots got alone anyway. The company also treated us for cookouts and birthday parties.

Where I am at now (a CRS) we might get the whole company together for a 'state of the union address'.

I too have come across a few scarf and stoggie pilots that thought I did not know which way to turn a wrench. Fortunately they might not come back here again......listen to this:

The aircraft has just landed and was pulling up on the ramp with the left thrust reverser out and the engine shut down. I ran out to look over the T/R and did not see and damage. I then went up inside the plane and asked what happened. The PIC told me that the T/R would not stow. I asked him if he used the EMER STOW and he said (here is the kicker) "Now why would I want to do that for?"

Here's your sign

Latest resources

Back