• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilatus PC12-PC12/45

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Most PC12s are actually PC-12/45s. The main change was an increase of the Maximum take-off weight from 9039 to 9921. This required some changes in airspeed markings and performance numbers in the POH but I am not aware of any actual changes to the airplane. Without the mod, you would be pretty close to max t/o weight with full fuel so it was an important upgrade to the airplane. Airplane performs very good at the higher number so I'm not sure why they didn't do it out of the box.

I guessing, but it most likely had to do with the 61 kt stall speed.

Single engine aircraft are restricted to a 61 kt vs1.

This will ultimately limit weight for a particular wing area.

Pilatus (I think) got some sort of exemption by proving that the aircraft is so crashworthy that a slightly higher speed is justified.

Thay had to prove to the FAA that the seats and airframe met tighter G-load standards, or something.

Any other guesses?

The older PC12's had bigger wing tips. That is the only outside mod I know of.

4500kg. Increased weight after certifying 65kt. stall speed with equivalent safety. It was designed to be the current weight, just took a while for the paperwork to catch up.

There are many other SB's and mods as well but the /45 stands for 4500 kilograms (9921 lbs) max T.O. weight. It is more than paperwork though because the airspeed indicators needed to be remarked and i believe the AOA needed to be set up differently in addition to the POH supplement. I dont think there was any structural changes though. The big to small wingtip change came after the /45 was around. My company has 2 with big wingtips that were /45 models since new. The small wingtips just make crosswinds a bit easier.

Latest resources

Back