PIC/SIC...Again...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SouthTex said:
Follow this rule, oh and by the way it's the law... In the crj or anything over 12.5 you have to be typed to log it as PIC.

DO I HAVE TO SAY IT AGAIN...YOU MUST BE TYPED, AND NOT ON THE KEYBOARD.

This is not logging PIC time. This is crediting SIC time for PIC time for the purpose of obtaining an ATP.

No one says you can log this in the PIC column. This allows you, when allowed by the FSDO, to credit SIC time for the minimum PIC requirement.

But what about this:

61.51 Pilot logbooks.

(a) Training time and aeronautical experience. Each person must document and record the following time in a manner acceptable to the Administrator:

(1) Training and aeronautical experience used to meet the requirements for a certificate, rating, or flight review of this part.

Is this not "logging time"???
I guess you could take "in a manner acceptable to the Administrator" as far as you want.

I am not trying to push anybody's buttons. Just trying to understand. If I am wrong then I have learned something new. If I am right, my friend at 9E has some work to do.

If you are acting as sic, then there is usually a PIC, unless they jumped out. That being said, if the FAA's intentions is to have a person have 250 hours of whatever kind of time, which in this case they say 250 PIC to be an ATP,..... but sic counts toward the pic time?...What else could it be? Why call it a PIC requirement? If it can be PIC or SIC performing PIC duties(which is a load of crap) then its 250 of any time. Which is no differant than any other time in the total time 1500 hour requirement.

I never have had to fill it out, but we have a company form to verify that the SIC was performing the duties of a PIC. You sometimes run in to it with military crews, or just really low timers that have worked their way up through the company.

PIC Time:

Watch the CA. When his head goes back and his eyes close, note the time. When his eyes open, note the time.

This is PIC Time! Log it, and in the remarks write CA. Incapacitated. Yes, people may lose their jobs, but you are getting your PIC time and climbing the senority list at the same time.

Latest resources

Back