• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PIC during IOE?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Quick question--when a person is getting IOE, do they log it as PIC or SIC? Does it matter if it is 135 or 121? Just wondering. Thanks for any info.

SIC?

Don'tknow what the text book answer is - but I logged my IOE time as SIC. The IOE instructor signed for the airplane.

the IOE captain(instructor) will be listed as PIC.
I also know that the regulation requiring 100 hours in first 120 days - Our op specs specifically say that time accrued during IOE does not count.
I am pretty sure this technically does not count for PIC as required by airlines for purpose of meeting qualifications

Make it easy on yourself.. if you signed the release then it is PIC and if you did not then it is not...Somewhere I read that for the purposes of applications and interviews, do not count any time that you have an instructor/checkairman in the cockpit as PIC

dogg said:
Make it easy on yourself.. if you signed the release then it is PIC and if you did not then it is not...Somewhere I read that for the purposes of applications and interviews, do not count any time that you have an instructor/checkairman in the cockpit as PIC

I agree totally that when you are receiving IOE, the check airman is the PIC...however, I can't agree that just because there is a check airman in the cockpit, you don't count it as PIC time. For example, if I am receiving a line check as required under 121.440, there is a check airman in the cockpit, obviously. However, he is checking me performing the duties and responsibilites of the pilot in command. I am the PIC and would count it as such.

But dogg does have the simple answer. If you are listed on the release and signed it as PIC, then you are the PIC...if not, you're not. During IOE, the check airman is listed as the PIC and will sign the release.

IOE during 121 ops

Captain's IOE during 121 ops does not count as PIC. The Check Airman is the assigned PIC. During a Line Check of a qualified pilot, the pilot being check may log PIC. Even thought the person flying the airplane is typed, they have not passed a Line Check and therefore can not legally act as PIC under 121 ops. Under 135 where IOE is not required except for those operators using 135.244, which is basically same as 121, you can log all time as PIC if your company allows it. At USA Jet all 135 IOE is done under 135.244 and our new Captains can not log PIC until they passs a Line Check.

My advice:

If you're not sure, then be conservative and don't count it. I didn't. In an interview (someday, God willing) if I'm asked why I didn't count it, if in someone's view I could have. 'I was being conservative'... 'I had 24hrs of SIM and this is my first hour in the actual aircraft, sittin next to a ck airman with 2000 in type...

Latest resources

Back