Piaggio Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have asked some ?

OK. I have PMed Diesel many questions about the P-180 (and he has some questions on his own as well). I am looking at expanding my options for about 50 hours per year one a 1 to 1 1/2 hour flight, both from the East Coast and in the Rockies. Trying to decide whether to buy more NJA time (in a Hawker 400XP or Encore), go with a Piaggio or Pilatus. I donto need the range or size of my larger jet. With no disrespect to the Avantair or Planeair folks, the big decision revolces around overall safety, pilot experience, recurrent training, etc. I trust Diesel and have asked him lots of questions.

Fly safe.

Thanks to all.

the wings are heated with bleed air, the cargo is in the back behind the wing-nice big door on the left side

I like the way it flys and lands, short fields are always more "sporting" but I have not had a real problem with crosswinds - yet

Watched one load and go out of BUR the other day. Neat looking plane. Questions.

1. Looked like they needed external power to start the first engine....is this normal?

2. The front "wing" or canard looks really close to the door. Do you have problems with people hitting it and doing damage to it?

Hey noodles if I remember you don't need acc/stop distance to be legal because its under 12500?

skiandsurf said:
Watched one load and go out of BUR the other day. Neat looking plane. Questions.

1. Looked like they needed external power to start the first engine....is this normal?

2. The front "wing" or canard looks really close to the door. Do you have problems with people hitting it and doing damage to it?

The Piaggio can do battery starts but it doesn't have an APU so many people will ask for a GPU for a couple of reasons. We can get the clearance and set up the radios/FMS without draining the battery, and we can do this far enough in advance of our pax arrival so we are all set up when they show. We can also run the Air Conditioning to cool the cabin before the pax arrive.

Also, the forward wing is far enough in front of the door so there is not a problem with people hitting it.

C425Driver

Diesel said:
Hey noodles if I remember you don't need acc/stop distance to be legal because its under 12500?

The official company position is that only ground roll is required. Not saying I agree, but that's what they tell you.

Noodles data is likely to be 9 months out of date. Being that far out of date explains why he doesn’t have access to the performance charts in Supplement 36 which increased the MAGTOW to 12,100. It also supports the notion that he isn’t familiar with any current company policies at Avantair. His maintenance comments are equally biased. I assume he has no real data or comparisons in which to base his assertion. No offense Noodles, but if this thread is for exchanging information about the Piaggio or Avantair, I would assume that those reading would like to see current data that can be validated.

Diesel, the requirements for take off is based on certification. The P180 is a Part 23 aircraft (think King Air on steroids) and although it has many “jet like” characteristics, it is not a jet (Part 25 aircraft). Current charts show 117 to 125 KIAS for Approach speeds based on landing weights.

Oh, I have lots of current data on both the company and the plane. I have access to that supplement, just don't care to read it. I also know the real reason why the Avanti II's have not been delivered, as well as why there is such a shortage of spare parts. I had an interesting conversation with one of the company mechanics the other day, but I'm sure you're not interested in the truth....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back